Just get Noah to send you an Air Force ,should be pretty easy to change out. I know I got pretty excited when ordering and forgot to order the cover. When you order they get them right on out.lol

I talked to both Noah and Amber and, unfortunately, they were unable to make it happen. Not the end of the world I guess.

PBC is a sponsor of Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke on Create TV, which is usually whatever your local PBS station is, plus .3. They show it being used, although he calls it a barrel smoker.

PBC is a sponsor of Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke on Create TV, which is usually whatever your local PBS station is, plus .3. They show it being used, although he calls it a barrel smoker.

I've seen a couple of the cooks he's done with the PBC. He gets pretty creative!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I wanted to let you know that Pit Barrel now has an attachable ash catcher. It's somewhat expensive ($29.95) especially when compared to the $4 pizza pans some of us use, but it's heavier duty and flat which helps with better air flow. Here's a link if you wanna check it out.
http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=638a68bc0599ef01e0a04437d&id=cb8c3cba83&e=fbe430fbe0

I've been using an unadulterated cake pan for a while now and have not found it to be an issue with air flow/temp control on short or long cooks. It's easier to pick up than using a pizza pan.

I've been using an unadulterated cake pan for a while now and have not found it to be an issue with air flow/temp control on short or long cooks. It's easier to pick up than using a pizza pan.

Man that must be a big cake pan. What size it it? Got any pics of your setup?

Hey guys, I wanted to let you know that Pit Barrel now has an attachable ash catcher. It's somewhat expensive ($29.95) especially when compared to the $4 pizza pans some of us use, but it's heavier duty and flat which helps with better air flow.

Always wanted to have this type of thing, I currently just use some heavy duty foil and discard after cooks. $29.95 is just to pricey for me. Would be nice if they had a promotional discount period for current owners to get one at a discount.

Question for you guys, I've been doing mostly rib and chicken cooks and follow the instructions to the T but for some reason my cook temperatures die off after a while. I have to keep cracking the lid to get the coals hot again. My chickens never get fully cooked in the suggested 2 hours.

I use the chimney starter to light, always use the full basket of coals and have the bottom vent at 1/4 based on my location, NJ. Should I just open the vent more during cooks?

Obviously, there are only a few variables in running the PBC. The most important is the lighting procedure, followed by the air intake (to include the rebar rods).

You must get the coal bed lit correctly. It sounds like you are on the right track there. Some like to make a "hole" in the center of the charcoal basket and dump the 35-40 lit coals in there. I prefer to spread the coals more or less evenly. The rebar then must be in and the lid on and you can begin cooking immediately.

The air intake is less tricky, but there are some considerations. I will post the diagram below. You should be sure that the intake is protected from wind or the effect will impact your cook.

PBC_VENT_REFERENCE.jpg

Hope this helps. It might take 5 or 6 cooks to be really confident in the procedure. You can also try the lighter fluid method on the PBC site. It also works well.

Back