THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did some bell peppers and asparagus on the PBC while I finished up some drumsticks. Turned out ridiculous. Had kind of low expectations but the crowd went wild. Definitely going into the regular rotation. Couldn’t believe how well they picked up the sweet smoke flavors.

I had the PBC cranked pretty hot since I was finishing the chicken. Took just under 10 minutes for the asparagus. Only a bit longer for the peppers to get a bit of color and tenderness. Ultra-simple prep for all: EVOO+salt+pepper = awesome.

Wanted to share this since I’m definitely guilty of usually only caring abou the meat and end up throwing a bag of steam corn in the microwave. This is way better. Cheers.

I have 2 racks of St Louis spares and tips in the PBJ right now. I got home from work late and they won't be done until after midnight, but they'll still be good. I'm experimenting with a sugar free rub and serving them dry.

Last edited:
Cool post, Pedro. How’d the ribs do?

We actually cleaned up, but with the PBCs tied up with so much pork for the masses we had to get our whole KCBS cook in on the Humphrey's. We did our last pork cook on it and scored in the top third, so we figured why not. Unfortunately, our pork on the Humphrey's came out a bit dry (Guess we need more practice). What we cooked for the masses on the PBCs was great, so we turned that in for KCBS instead. However, it was sitting in pans for an hour already under foil and we pulled it more than we usually do for our KCBS boxes. We finished 12th and it bumped us out of GC or RGC :( Two other teams had awesome cooks as well.

Overall:
1st place ribs
1st place brisket
3rd place chicken
3rd place overall KCBS
1st place steak
4th place shrimp
GC for the Steak/Shrimp comp

We actually cleaned up, but with the PBCs tied up with so much pork for the masses we had to get our whole KCBS cook in on the Humphrey's. We did our last pork cook on it and scored in the top third, so we figured why not. Unfortunately, our pork on the Humphrey's came out a bit dry (Guess we need more practice). What we cooked for the masses on the PBCs was great, so we turned that in for KCBS instead. However, it was sitting in pans for an hour already under foil and we pulled it more than we usually do for our KCBS boxes. We finished 12th and it bumped us out of GC or RGC :( Two other teams had awesome cooks as well.

Overall:
1st place ribs
1st place brisket
3rd place chicken
3rd place overall KCBS
1st place steak
4th place shrimp

Great job. Congrats!

Overall:
1st place ribs
1st place brisket
3rd place chicken
3rd place overall KCBS
1st place steak
4th place shrimp

Awesome job Pedro! :thumb:

Good to see the PBC kicking tail at the comps!

Doing a cook for a buddy's family get together on Sunday afternoon (never cooked for someone else's party) and trying to figure out timing for everything so food is hot when I deliver it. Probably giving too much info here but don't want to screw this up. Below is what i'm cooking and what i'm estimating cook times at for each

10 lb pork shoulder - guessing 6 hours then resting in cooler for 2 hrs (only cooked 7-8#'s before)
Apple Baked Beans - 1 hour in oven
Smoked mac & cheese - 1:45 in smoker once shoulder pulled

He is wanting lunch served around 12:30 so figured that I would be at his house by 12:15 to setup. Backing up from there i'm thinking that I need to have the shoulder on the PBC by 4AM to cook it for 6 hours and put in cooler for 2. Thoughts?

As for other items i'll prep beans and start cooking around 10:45AM to be done by 11:45 so I can leave around noon. Then for mac & cheese i'll start that when I pull the shoulder off.

Any tips for keeping food warm at his house before guests arrive (they are going to church for his wife's baptism)? Should I put in oven and turn it on a low temp to keep warm?

All of my cooks have been at my house so this is a new experience for me. Any help is appreciated.

Doing a cook for a buddy's family get together on Sunday afternoon (never cooked for someone else's party) and trying to figure out timing for everything so food is hot when I deliver it. Probably giving too much info here but don't want to screw this up. Below is what i'm cooking and what i'm estimating cook times at for each

10 lb pork shoulder - guessing 6 hours then resting in cooler for 2 hrs (only cooked 7-8#'s before)

He is wanting lunch served around 12:30 so figured that I would be at his house by 12:15 to setup. Backing up from there i'm thinking that I need to have the shoulder on the PBC by 4AM to cook it for 6 hours and put in cooler for 2. Thoughts?

As for other items i'll prep beans and start cooking around 10:45AM to be done by 11:45 so I can leave around noon. Then for mac & cheese i'll start that when I pull the shoulder off.

Any tips for keeping food warm at his house before guests arrive (they are going to church for his wife's baptism)? Should I put in oven and turn it on a low temp to keep warm?

All of my cooks have been at my house so this is a new experience for me. Any help is appreciated.

I'd give myself more than 6 hours for the shoulder. Hopefully others will chime in but I'm guessing more like 7-8 hrs. Obviously temperature will play a role in that. I'm usually at 275ish°
I'd keep the shoulder held in an ice chest wrapped I'm foil then covered with a couple towels. Just make sure you loosely unwrap it and tent it for about 15-20 min first. Then rewrap and put in the ice chest. It'll hold for awhile that way.
The other food should keep fine in an oven on the lowest temp it will go to.

Overall:
1st place ribs
1st place brisket
3rd place chicken
3rd place overall KCBS
1st place steak
4th place shrimp

Nice job!

By tent it do you mean take foil off of it and then just put foil on top of it to rest for 20 mins? What is benefit of doing this?

It will allow it to cool a little to stop the cooking. You don't want it to cool too much though which is why you don't want to do this longer than about 20 min. You don't have to actually "tent" it if you don't want, just loosely unwrap for about 15-20 min, then rewrap and put in ice chest.

Edit: Now that I think about it I probably shouldn't have used the "tent it" verbiage. You will have juices in the foil wrap you don't want to lose. Just unwrap the shoulder but not all the way. Let it cool for no more than 20 min then rewrap. It will still be hot, but it'll stop the cooking. When you rewrap and put in the ice chest with towels, it'll hold the shoulder for a few hours so it'll be hot when you serve it. This also evenly tenderizes butts, shoulders, and briskets. I always do this for at least an hour with brisket and they get very tender......

Good luck! sorry if I confused you.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've been reading about these machines for a long time, but since I have been in no shape to cook, I've not paid much attention. God has helped me get to the point where I am now back to smoking and/or grilling an average of weekly. I'd love to get my hands on one of these cookers, but there's no way I can afford a new one. Anyone know where I can find a good used one in the San Antonio/Austin area of TX at a good price? I know it's a longshot, but I figure y'all could be my best bet...TIA

I’m with Andrew. 6 hours doesn’t seem like quite enough. Nothing worse than stressing about the cook finishing in time. Remember, the butt will hold easily for at least 4 hours in a cooler, so I’d err on that side. I’d allow at least 8 hours for the cook and if you end up done early no problem. Good luck! Look forward to hearing back how it goes.

Hey guys, I've been reading about these machines for a long time, but since I have been in no shape to cook, I've not paid much attention. God has helped me get to the point where I am now back to smoking and/or grilling an average of weekly. I'd love to get my hands on one of these cookers, but there's no way I can afford a new one. Anyone know where I can find a good used one in the San Antonio/Austin area of TX at a good price? I know it's a longshot, but I figure y'all could be my best bet...TIA

Sorry I’m no help there. But glad you’re in better shape for cooking. You’ll enjoy your PBC when you get it.

St. Louis Area BBQ Brethren Bash

We're less than a week away from the St. Louis Area BBQ Bash

*** 2018 St. Louis BASH June 30 Whitecliff Park ***

Come join your fellow Brethren at the St. Louis BBQ Brethren Bash.
When: June 30 from 7 am to ???
Where: Whitecliff Park in Crestwood Missouri
Signup Sheet: Click here

Bash Thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259470

Looks like we will have folks coming from far and wide for this exiting event. Our friends Toast from Shreveport and LYU370 from Chicago will be joining us plus many more. Also Mark and Ryan Hunsaker from Hunsaker smokers will be joining us in the morning and early afternoon.

Noah Glanville from Pit Barrel Cooker Company may be joining us as well. I will let you know if he confirms.

Hope you can join us. Feel free to bring your smoker, some food to cook, a side dish, or just yourself and family and friends.

if you want a treat

..and don't mind the work.
..or the price.

4 pound boston butt from a forested Large Black hog. I burned about 6 splits down to coals in the BQ fireplace, shoveled into the PBC, and hung the butt for about 4.5 hours, cooked to slice (to slice, i use a variation of probe tender--it's probe tender on the fat cap, and then a step below probe tender everywhere else.) Best smoke flavor I've ever had on any piece of bbq i've cooked.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.13.34 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.13.34 AM.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 159
Back