THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I did my first unwrapped butt a couple of weeks back. Only a four pounder so I didn't have to worry about having enough fuel but good to know it can be done.

I agree that the bark was better as there were "crispy bits". Was definitely drier than when wrapping, plus there was no real juice to pour back over it at the end. I'll probably try it again but look to spritz the butt in lieu of wrapping.

Great looking cook, johnny. I did a 10# brisket, 4# butt and 20 brats/sausages on Sunday. So easy to put out great food and lots of it.

I did my first unwrapped butt a couple of weeks back. Only a four pounder so I didn't have to worry about having enough fuel but good to know it can be done.

I agree that the bark was better as there were "crispy bits". Was definitely drier than when wrapping, plus there was no real juice to pour back over it at the end. I'll probably try it again but look to spritz the butt in lieu of wrapping.

Great looking cook, johnny. I did a 10# brisket, 4# butt and 20 brats/sausages on Sunday. So easy to put out great food and lots of it.

I mopped mine with Stubbs moppin’ sauce and it was pretty moist. Not as good as wrapped, but pretty good. Next time maybe I’ll do two, one wrapped one unwrapped. Mix them and get the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks. I've a question re burgers on the PBC. I tried doing a search of the thread, but it appears I'm not allowed to? Sorry. I've seen some pics showing a half-basket setup using firebricks. Does that generate enough heat for doing burgers on the PBC? Or should I simply do a half-full basket of charcoal spread across the bottom of the basket? Thanks!

Hi folks. I've a question re burgers on the PBC. I tried doing a search of the thread, but it appears I'm not allowed to? Sorry. I've seen some pics showing a half-basket setup using firebricks. Does that generate enough heat for doing burgers on the PBC? Or should I simply do a half-full basket of charcoal spread across the bottom of the basket? Thanks!

I think it would but you may be better off spreading them across the basket like you mentioned. To get high heat you need to leave the lid off for a bit then don't put the lid on so that's it's sealed. In other words, crack the lid to keep the airflow going good.

Hey, thanks guys for the input on how to do the charcoal for burgers! I hear they're amazing on the PBC. I found some Royal Oak lump on sale so I think I'll use that since it's a hot, fast burn.

Bob, yes I'm in Jeff! I may just be able to make the BASH. :)

Xhepera,

Late to the party but fully lit basket and let 'er rip. Don't skimp on charcoal. You're in for a treat if already haven't. You're welcome!

9emIFnxh.jpg

6xeWwe3h.jpg

My briskets have been coming out dry and I’m wondering if it’s because of my method.
I have been leaving my brisket in the pbc over night say 7-8 hours then getting up wrapping and waiting till probe tender (205-210) the last couple where dry. U think it’s because I’m leaving it to Long before wrapping?

RS,

I have cooked briskets without wrapping that came out juicy. I doubt it was the timing of the wrap.

Was your brisket dry and crumbly, or was it dry and tough. If it was tough, then you most likely under cooked it. If it was dry and crumby then you probably overcooked it.

Also...could just be that cut of meat. Was it choice? Prime? Select?

Either way....chop that brisket up and make it into chili or heat it in some bbq sauce for pulled beef. Plenty of options to help a dry brisket!

RS,

I have cooked briskets without wrapping that came out juicy. I doubt it was the timing of the wrap.

Was your brisket dry and crumbly, or was it dry and tough. If it was tough, then you most likely under cooked it. If it was dry and crumby then you probably overcooked it.

Also...could just be that cut of meat. Was it choice? Prime? Select?

Either way....chop that brisket up and make it into chili or heat it in some bbq sauce for pulled beef. Plenty of options to help a dry brisket!

It was dry and just starting to be crumbly.

Brisket cook today. Put it on at 7:30 a.m. Wrapped in foil around noon and done at 2 p.m. In the cooler for about 4 hours. Glad I got done early because a storm blew up a couple hours after I took off the brisket. Lots of hail lots of rain very windy conditions. It blew my patio umbrella over my house and into my neighbor's front yard.
Bob, could you PM me and tell me how you did this? Did you hang? Rub? I am dying to do my first brisket. I just ordered a MAK 2 Star General and plan on doing an overnight cook one of these summer nights. Pretty sure I could do a fast cook in the PBC. Thanks for any advice!!
Dave

Full disclosure, I dont have a PBC. I have wondered what the fuss was about, and now I know why. I bought a gateway hanger kit for my WSM, and the chicken was outstanding. I will be hanging much! Thanks for letting me post out of turn on this thread.

y4mmg5f_cBIzuJDJnsINU3tI1anKBkUFereNIGMPnfhycwPUpyW02iCwmW0hGBlDEU-ayBolrx5bTWJKb1uaxQ6vyLmfZJ99cdH4VUVfSUDDSYACFgh6X1JAEOlIw2X0v8a-QiWVXV9FHL9xSKL8kc_oSLB14mqIJ-nXS7iPbzMmi0F7diGfl4AIRDGzjnnCxVGgJwkyAoPZghsnwEeRrMTdA

y4mJztteJNUfIa_5PusO7oeqmncjJjSiQ2hr5Um5EYsZFWi0qZDuB1j7hsyHo2mtVVstNB4JX1tc_h8QRInjqq-3n7lVhmAghQ5zgou-34ImBPWumiPvFkKcVjgk1fAXjwgQrzXg5N_feJdNzs0nxfOzkt2Qvla6H1qYYI3zi5TsIzbNU3KNGX0ty-SMz0BzewC7NvSzdibo4_tG0tcLHU9lw

Back