I can squeeze in about 5 pounds of wings on the grate, which is about 50 of the small size. I like hanging on skewers for more space, but i agree w BK about the skin difference. Glad you’re here elmn8r.

The extra nice thing about that basket is the flavor basket on the top. You can put sausage, bacon or other fatty goodness up there to drip on your sings as they smoke/cook. Mmmmm......

does the wings in the basket get crispy ?

Don't know why they wouldn't. My intended method would be to skewer the wings and then put the ends of the skewers thru the holes in the sides of the basket. Then of course doing several rows front to back and top to bottom. It would be like individually hanging 70 chicken wings in the PBCJ.

I just spoke with Hunsaker about their baskets. I was looking for the stainless steel version so I didn't have to worry about rust. Bottom line is, they aren't making the basket anymore, in either ss or mild steel. He's working on a prototype of another basket that will be cheaper to produce. No ETA on that.

Some 4OJ pork butt/beef rib pron...

msvY3c8.jpg

8NEXZ41.jpg

rLXbRX0.jpg

I’m with Andrew. 6 hours doesn’t seem like quite enough. Nothing worse than stressing about the cook finishing in time. Remember, the butt will hold easily for at least 4 hours in a cooler, so I’d err on that side. I’d allow at least 8 hours for the cook and if you end up done early no problem. Good luck! Look forward to hearing back how it goes.

Sorry for not posting this sooner but I got sidetracked and forgot. The cookout for the family friend went great. I ended up starting the cook at around 1am and it took about 8 hours to cook 2 shoulders on the PBC. I’ve never cooked overnight before so I stayed up a good portion of the night checking temps and making sure that the charcoal was good.

Pulled the pork around 9 and made the Mac and cheese on the smoker and threw the hog apple beans in the oven and got to his house right at 12:15 and had everything ready for them around 12:45.

Everyone raved about the food so it made me feel like everything went well but man I was tired after staying up almost all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone done pulled chicken with breasts only? I am looking for some healthier options to use my PBC while trying to drop some LBS.

I have been researching and it seems there are lots of methods people have used from brines to injections and some just straight up cooking and pulling.

I am wondering about methods similar to a port or brisket with wrapping at a certain point to add moisture...or even in a sheet pan with some sort of liquid (thinking how good chicken shreds up in crock pot).

Is any of this making sense? Has anyone done anything like this?

I don't do pulled chicken, but I do boneless skinless breasts all the time. Best to brine them first in a salt/sugar/water solution for a few hours. Really makes a difference with flavor and moisture.

I would bet you could smoke for a while nakid, then put in to a braising liquid like you suggested.

I don't do pulled chicken, but I do boneless skinless breasts all the time. Best to brine them first in a salt/sugar/water solution for a few hours. Really makes a difference with flavor and moisture.

I would bet you could smoke for a while nakid, then put in to a braising liquid like you suggested.
I did some chicken breast tonight. I didn't have the time to brine or anything so I just hung all 8 of them. They came out so kuicu and tender... surprised NOT. The meat pulled of easily. I shredded by hand. Took a couple of handfuls and mixed in some BBQ sauce. Was awesome.

I'll try the brine next time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's been a while but I pulled chicken off the PBC. Comes out fantastic. Mixed pulled is better IMHO plus a lot of the fat drains out during the cooking process. Cook it hot and rest a few minutes before pulling. I actually ate the crispy skin by itself and pulled the meat.

fILM0n0h.png

Z8ftoiKh.png

IthbwGeh.png

I am intrigued by the simplicity and quicker cook times of the PBC. I am thinking of grabbing one to play around with. Some questions for the owners, I am sure some might have been answered in this thread, but it is 600 pages, lol!

The most baby backs you can cram in at once? SL spares?
Cook times on baby backs and SL spares?
Anyone using a few of these cookers for catering or big events and what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

I’ve been wanting to add a Hunsaker to the arsenal but looking through this thread and watching some Kosmo Q videos I might just grab a PBC. they are super transportable and seem really versatile based on what guys are doing in this thread.

I am intrigued by the simplicity and quicker cook times of the PBC. I am thinking of grabbing one to play around with. Some questions for the owners, I am sure some might have been answered in this thread, but it is 600 pages, lol!

The most baby backs you can cram in at once? You can hang 8 racks at a time SL spares? Also 8
Cook times on baby backs and SL spares? Depends on number of racks, size of racks, temp you happen to be running at, etc. For me BB usually take 3 - 4 hours and St. Louis 4-5.
Anyone using a few of these cookers for catering or big events and what are your thoughts? I know some folks have several and use them in comps and I believe I have heard of some folks using them for large events.

Thanks!

See answers above. Good luck in your decision!

It's been a while but I pulled chicken off the PBC. Comes out fantastic. Mixed pulled is better IMHO plus a lot of the fat drains out during the cooking process. Cook it hot and rest a few minutes before pulling. I actually ate the crispy skin by itself and pulled the meat.

fILM0n0h.png

Z8ftoiKh.png

IthbwGeh.png

I love doing pulled chicken on mine. Typically split the chickens and hang both halves from the PBC. Did this at a family Memorial Day cookout and my sister-in-law asked for leftovers then proceeded to take home all of the leftover chicken :mad:

Wasn't very happy when I went to make lunch the next day but i'll take it as a compliment:thumb:

Back