THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Details: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246463

Pics

czohWPFh.jpg

0fCWjKoh.jpg

65jXZLMh.jpg

TPvAaPSh.jpg

BR2pTieh.jpg

Wcpg1pAh.jpg

8vojvyHh.jpg

Jwm5e0bh.jpg

cAXLq4Mh.jpg

W4CX1Vph.jpg

3Kk6cT4h.jpg

Thanks guys! I just recently got the CI pan in and love finishing the steaks in it for a nice crust.

Sako, that meat is on point. Two questions for you. What is the purpose of pinning the two cuts of meat together while cooking in the PBC? And what are the dimensions of that pan that you have in the oven? I've been thinking about using one of my cast-iron pan's but I'm afraid they would not rotate with the handle. Maybe they don't need to rotate anyway. Thanks.

Sako, that meat is on point. Two questions for you. What is the purpose of pinning the two cuts of meat together while cooking in the PBC? And what are the dimensions of that pan that you have in the oven? I've been thinking about using one of my cast-iron pan's but I'm afraid they would not rotate with the handle. Maybe they don't need to rotate anyway. Thanks.

Thanks Gnolydnar!

Since it was voted steaks over rib roast below are the reasons for pinning the steaks together:

1. Good wagyu beef is super rich in intramuscular fat and it shrinks significantly if not cut thick enough compared to an average steak. Even though I cut the steaks to about 2", as you can see in the pics, I still ended up with about 1" thick steaks. Learned that first time around when I cut 1.5" wagyu seaks and after cooking it shrunk to a little over .5" :-D

2. Insulation for the middle steak. I like my steaks from rare to med rare and for example, my mom likes it medium at the least, so the end steaks naturally cooked to med while mine was about med rare. Now, I could've achieved the same results by just cooking the roast like prime rib which brings us to reason three below I didn't go that route

3. Now, I could've achieved the same results by just cooking the roast like prime rib as mentioned, cutting it, then searing the steaks. I chose to go as described above because I wanted to go immediately from the grill to searing. Had I cooked it whole then cut it into steaks I would've lost a ton of moisture without first resting it. Essentially I eliminated the resting process. Plus all three

Plus all three steaks went in/came off at the same time and able to accommodate everyone's desired level of doneness.

As for the pan, it's a California Home Goods 14" CI pan. My two CI pans are 12 and 14 Lodges and obviously wouldn't fit. This was the best thing I've found that works with the BS oven. Hate that it's Made in China since I'm a Lodge guy but again this was the best choice for the BS. I gotta say it's heavy (7-8lbs) and put a strain on the BS roti motor a time or two but I just gave it a slight boost by pushing the pan to help it rotate. It works fine since searing only takes a few minutes. I'm thinking next time, I'll remove the BS ceramic bottom stone and that should easily save a few lbs and ease the strain on the motor. Worked just fine with a push or two but if the motor gives I'll just get an aftermarket heavier duty motor. They're fairly cheap.

Here's the link to the pan. It is a nice pan and I'll admit it especially for the $

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Californ...nch-Pre-Seasoned-Round-Oven-Griddle/197544825

Last edited:
Weekend Cook

Pics from this past Saturday's cook. Two pork butts so Mom could take one home with her for Mother's Day along with some wings and sausages. No pics of the sausage. Nothing special there...just something easy to snack on during the cook.

Did 35 briquettes this time instead of 40. Whatever the temp wound up being (I don't measure it) was in the sweet spot. Ran too hot the week before and too low the week before that. Can tell by the smoke (very little on the low temp cook and too much on the high temp) if it is too low or high.

Butts stayed on the grate for 5 1/2-6 hours before wrapping. One got to an IT of 180 while the other was at 170. Took both to 205 before the hold with the one running hotter taken off first. Had friends over so I only held the first one for almost two hours before pulling. Turned out great. Since I didn't *need* the other butt, I let that hold for over four hours. Excellent results.

Wings were a mix of buffalo/Chris n Pitts Pop of Pineapple BBQ/sweet thai chili. Also did some lemon pepper ones early in the cook that are not pictured. Been a long time since I did wings. Every time I do them, I wonder why I don't do them every time! Had to finish the ones pictured in the oven since I put them on once the butts were off 8 hours into the cook. Didn't have enough juice to get them to the finish line but almost. Still got the smoke flavor and sauce setting I wanted.

Last edited:
Winner! The bark on the butt and the color on the wings are spot on. Love the Blues Hog seasoning also. :thumb:

Thanks guys!

I love the Blues Hog also. I've got the local Cost Plus giving me a call when they get the sauce back in stock for the summer so I can avoid the shipping costs associated with buying straight from them or from Amazon.

Thanks Gnolydnar!

Since it was voted steaks over rib roast below are the reasons for pinning the steaks together:

1. Good wagyu beef is super rich in intramuscular fat and it shrinks significantly if not cut thick enough compared to an average steak. Even though I cut the steaks to about 2", as you can see in the pics, I still ended up with about 1" thick steaks. Learned that first time around when I cut 1.5" wagyu seaks and after cooking it shrunk to a little over .5" :-D

2. Insulation for the middle steak. I like my steaks from rare to med rare and for example, my mom likes it medium at the least, so the end steaks naturally cooked to med while mine was about med rare. Now, I could've achieved the same results by just cooking the roast like prime rib which brings us to reason three below I didn't go that route

3. Now, I could've achieved the same results by just cooking the roast like prime rib as mentioned, cutting it, then searing the steaks. I chose to go as described above because I wanted to go immediately from the grill to searing. Had I cooked it whole then cut it into steaks I would've lost a ton of moisture without first resting it. Essentially I eliminated the resting process. Plus all three

Plus all three steaks went in/came off at the same time and able to accommodate everyone's desired level of doneness.

As for the pan, it's a California Home Goods 14" CI pan. My two CI pans are 12 and 14 Lodges and obviously wouldn't fit. This was the best thing I've found that works with the BS oven. Hate that it's Made in China since I'm a Lodge guy but again this was the best choice for the BS. I gotta say it's heavy (7-8lbs) and put a strain on the BS roti motor a time or two but I just gave it a slight boost by pushing the pan to help it rotate. It works fine since searing only takes a few minutes. I'm thinking next time, I'll remove the BS ceramic bottom stone and that should easily save a few lbs and ease the strain on the motor. Worked just fine with a push or two but if the motor gives I'll just get an aftermarket heavier duty motor. They're fairly cheap.

Here's the link to the pan. It is a nice pan and I'll admit it especially for the $

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Californ...nch-Pre-Seasoned-Round-Oven-Griddle/197544825

Thanks for the info!

I'll check into the pan. The explanation for pinning the cuts makes total sense. I've never cooked (or eaten) wagyu but it sounds like butta. I would have expected the outer cuts to be closer to medium before the insulated cut reached rare (if the PBC ran around 300F or so). Regardless, it sure as heck worked for you! I still can't believe how good that looks. I'm hungry again.

Thanks guys!

I love the Blues Hog also. I've got the local Cost Plus giving me a call when they get the sauce back in stock for the summer so I can avoid the shipping costs associated with buying straight from them or from Amazon.

I'm not a bbq sauce guy other than Blues Hog, a mustard based sauce from Trader Joe's but that stuff is killer. Only thing I use.

Lol, I started the Blues Hog thread last year. You and a lot of brethren got in on it. Every time I walked in to World Market the employees were like "There the Blues Hog guy!" :becky:

Needless to say ended with a ton of sauce and rub that even after giving a ton away have some to last me a while. :-D

My first haul.

dpt8RHmh.jpg

Thanks for the info!

I'll check into the pan. The explanation for pinning the cuts makes total sense. I've never cooked (or eaten) wagyu but it sounds like butta. I would have expected the outer cuts to be closer to medium before the insulated cut reached rare (if the PBC ran around 300F or so). Regardless, it sure as heck worked for you! I still can't believe how good that looks. I'm hungry again.

You're welcome!

I was actually running 250 initially then opened up one of the two rear magnets and that took me to 285 for the remainder of the cook in the PBC. Didn't have too much charcoal in there as I didn't want too hot of a fire. I know the pit well by now so I adjust as I go along. I don't post a lot of the revisions I do during the cook to avoid boring people but when asked I do break it down for folks.

As for wagyu, the best way I can describe it is if you mixed butter and tender beef together with cotton candy, melt in your mouth texture you'd have wagyu. That's about as best I can put it.

Back