THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It was very tender. I used the PBC all purpose seasoning. I didn't use much because the I didn't want to overpower the venison. It's so lean it over cooks very quickly.

Sako-

That's similar to my haul last year! Finally ran out of the 50/50 blend I was making with them about a month ago.

Looks like Cost Plus is only slated to get the OG sauce this year and not the Tennessee Red as well. Has me thinking about maybe buying a big bottle of the new-ish "Champions Blend" straight from the Blues Hog site.

Sako-

That's similar to my haul last year! Finally ran out of the 50/50 blend I was making with them about a month ago.

Looks like Cost Plus is only slated to get the OG sauce this year and not the Tennessee Red as well. Has me thinking about maybe buying a big bottle of the new-ish "Champions Blend" straight from the Blues Hog site.

Strange. Maybe it's still early and they'll brings some in since it's the start of the bbq season?

Champions blend from what I heard is a mix of OGBH, Tennessee Red and Smokey Mountain.

Sako-

Champions blend is good stuff and got a win in ribs in a local contest with it. Another alternative is to buy a bottle from Big Poppa Smokers (a Brethren member) and sign up for their email. They'll announce discounts and a good time to buy is when they offer free shipping with a code they'll send you with no minimum purchase.

Thanks guys!

I love the Blues Hog also. I've got the local Cost Plus giving me a call when they get the sauce back in stock for the summer so I can avoid the shipping costs associated with buying straight from them or from Amazon.

BigKing your pics are outstanding! I decided a few weeks ago I was going to do my 1st butt + wings on Memorial Day weekend...can only hope it comes out this good. You mentioned doing 35 instead of 40 KBB...did you light it standard way - e.g. 15 mins. then dropped over unlit? Any special setup for lighting?

something I've been meaning to ask you guys...how important is it where you buy your meat from? Do you insist on only the butcher? Do you ever go cheap to save $$? Has anyone ever bought and cooked ribs etc. from ALDI?

stickbit - you can say that the answer is "it depends". Some cuts don't really matter, such as pork butt or chickens. Sometimes you want to pay a bit more for better quality, such as tri-tip or roasts. The "low and slow" method will ultimately break down the connective tissue of most meats and you will get something fairly tender. Better cuts might also feature better flavor. Things which cook relatively quicker, such as poultry, don't "break down" as much, but the PBC works very well with them. And briskets are another thing entirely (sometimes the select or choice will be just as good as a top-price packer ... sometimes not).

I have gone "cheap" in the past with good results. I have also been disappointed, usually with thinner cuts. Haven't tried Aldi ribs, so I can't help you there.

BigKing your pics are outstanding! I decided a few weeks ago I was going to do my 1st butt + wings on Memorial Day weekend...can only hope it comes out this good. You mentioned doing 35 instead of 40 KBB...did you light it standard way - e.g. 15 mins. then dropped over unlit? Any special setup for lighting?

I only go 12 minutes in the chimney per the instructions of the PBC folks who knew my location in Long Beach well, i.e. elevation etc.

I've always gone with 40; however, I screwed up a few weeks back and think I only did 30 but thought I did 40. Wound up being a much lower temp than usual. Still turned out well except that my friends had left a couple of hours before the brisket was ready at 10:30 PM! Next weekend I did the 40 but may have filled the basket too much to being with, plus it was a hot day and it took direct sunlight all day long. This time it was too hot for my liking.

This led to 35 the past weekend which wound up pretty spot on; however, 40 has usually not been an issue in the past. I usually put two chunks of oak in the center of the basket along with a couple more off to the sides. I try to have them covered a little bit so they don't ignite right away when pouring the coals since I want the food to catch that wood smoke. I generally just do a "pour them evenly around the basket" move: no special methods.

My advice would be to follow the PBC official instructions. Learn the cooker and then start modifying your routine as needed. Also, if you can do a trial run before everyone comes over for the holiday, that would be a wise move. Plus it is more BBQ so why the hell not :thumb:

New member here, just ordered my PBC today. Started on an electric smoker and burning things on a gas grill, then last year when my smoker rusted out I started doing research. Stumbled upon amazingribs.com and decided on a Weber kettle as a cheap way to see if charcoal was for me. Well after a year of burning charcoal, I sold my gas Weber Spirit, but I decided I wanted a better dedicated smoker where I can get more capacity for long cooks with better control. Was on the fence between one of these or building a UDS, but the cost of a new drum and the time I would spend behind my welder did not make as much sense as spending $300 and being able to cook the next day.

Still plan on keeping the kettle and Slow n' Sear for steaks and short cooks, but cant wait to fill this thing with ribs, briskets, butts, and whatever else I can fit in here.

New member here, just ordered my PBC today. Started on an electric smoker and burning things on a gas grill, then last year when my smoker rusted out I started doing research. Stumbled upon amazingribs.com and decided on a Weber kettle as a cheap way to see if charcoal was for me. Well after a year of burning charcoal, I sold my gas Weber Spirit, but I decided I wanted a better dedicated smoker where I can get more capacity for long cooks with better control. Was on the fence between one of these or building a UDS, but the cost of a new drum and the time I would spend behind my welder did not make as much sense as spending $300 and being able to cook the next day.

Still plan on keeping the kettle and Slow n' Sear for steaks and short cooks, but cant wait to fill this thing with ribs, briskets, butts, and whatever else I can fit in here.

Welcome to the forum and to Club PBC!

Your story sounds almost exactly like mine. You'll love the PBC and it'll work out perfectly for what you described. We have lots of folks who hang out in this thread who will be able to help you get the hang of your PBC quickly. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Our only request is that you feed our food pron addiction once you get up and runnin.....:becky:

Last edited:

After buying a PBC your best decision was coming to this forum. There is so much knowledge here it's an incredible resource; but more importantly there other members here are so helpful, and friendly you're going be pumping out amazing meals in no time

I love my PBC but every time I cook baby back or spare ribs, they fall down in the coals. I have a hook about three bones down and they still fall but they sure are tender.

I love my PBC but every time I cook baby back or spare ribs, they fall down in the coals. I have a hook about three bones down and they still fall but they sure are tender.

Do you hook through the thickest end of the ribs? I've never had mine fall. Perhaps you are letting them run too long?

Are you going straight by time? If so, realize that time is only a guideline. BBQ is done when it's done. For ribs on the PBC, I start checking after 3 hours with the toothpick test: when it slides in without resistance, it's done (check every 30
minuses after 3 hours). It's usually done about the 4 hr mark if I'm just straight hanging and not foiling when they are done.

I'm back in business! Well at least for today :becky: I haven't done much BBQ lately trying to get my cholesterol under control. It wasn't too bad but I'm not ready to start taking meds so I'm fighting it......Got checked yesterday and will find out the results Monday. So......cant change anything at this point so why not smoke something? :thumb:

I'm doing one rack of spares one rack of baby backs and some chicken wings which will be put on later in the cook.
I already screwed up when I bought the spares and didn't realize they had a 7% solution in them which usually means salt :mad2:. They may taste a little hammy but 7% isn't terrible. Hopefully they will still be good.
Wind is blowing so I turned my PBC 90° which seems to me helping....
Here are a couple pics showing them all rubbed up and just hung in the PBC.....

Attachments

Cruising along at about 260° 2 hours in. I've caught with temps today. Some of it is the wind some of it is me being busy.

Not a great pic but I was trying to be fast. Temps spiking fast today when I take off the lid.

Smells delicious! :hungry:

Attachments

A better shot a little later.....and my wings all seasoned up with my favorite seasoning for wings. I'll probably do the wings in my kettle. Folks around here like ribs more done than I prefer so I'll have to unhook them and grate cook them some. I want the wings ready at the same time.....

Attachments

Back