THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lantern

is One Chatty Farker
Food lion had picnics on sale so I bought four. Didn't feel like too much fuss today so I just rubbed the exposed meat and left the skin on. I like the taste of the meat stewed in its own fat between the skin and meat. Gives me a tiny bit of whole hog flavor. I used a mix of Oakridge beef and pork with their secret weapon. The wood was pecan in mini split form from fruita wood. For charcoal it's royal oak chef select. Love that stuff. Probably my favorite with K comp and stubbs right behind. Temps are in the 250-275 range. I may have to break out the foil to push these over at the end because we are leaving for date night at 6:30pm and........I don't mess with date night.:mrgreen:

Attachments

• 1000067-800x533.jpg
    1000067-800x533.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 248
  • 1000068-800x533.jpg
    1000068-800x533.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 252
Beautiful picnics. I like the idea of leaving the skin on. I always trim it off and make Cajun cracklins but I'll give your method a shot.

Beautiful picnics. I like the idea of leaving the skin on. I always trim it off and make Cajun cracklins but I'll give your method a shot.

It slides off in one big piece. Especially if you give it a nice long rest. After that I like to let it cool and firm up. Then out of the fridge I cut it up into smaller nickel sized pieces and throw them into some hot oil.

First....use a lid as the water content is high and it's going to splatter EVERYWHERE. It's not like cracklings or pork rinds. More like slightly crunchy juicy Smokey fat. You really have to love fat and skin the way I do to want to do this. But if you do you should really enjoy this horrifically bad for you treat.:oops:

Sorry for the lack of after picks but they went straight into the foil and cooler before we left and upon return they were quickly boned and skinned and into the chilling stage before I hit the bed.

Really looking forward to the sammiches from these. If I can stop eating it cold in refrigerator drive-bys......

Edit......Also if you are a believer in the cook getting the very best hidden bites then you will find small bites of meat hidden right against the skin when you pull it off. These super tender jewels are the greatest of pork eating imo.

Looks good up t now! But this story wont finish here (I hope).
I apologize for failing to deliver after shots, but I was in a mad dash to get this finished and get ready for date night. Then over the past couple days I've been pretty sick.

So..... here's a couple super simple sammiches that I made for breakfast this morning. I wish I could have snapped a few shots of the pulling as these picnics came out VERY nicely colored inside.

If anybody is wondering......yes I am a fan of the ultra cheap bun with my bbq. Although.....a potato roll or toasted brioche bun I won't turn away.:mrgreen:

Attachments

• 2016-03-08 10.17.19_resized.jpg
    2016-03-08 10.17.19_resized.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 2016-03-08 10.18.23_resized.jpg
    2016-03-08 10.18.23_resized.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 66
Swap you a bowl of Quaker Oats and Stevia packet for a Sammie.
Again- that's real Stevia if that helps you decide !!!!!

Swap you a bowl of Quaker Oats and Stevia packet for a Sammie.
Again- that's real Stevia if that helps you decide !!!!!

:decision::decision:

I know it sounds strange, but this really is my diet breakfast. Now, I usually don't eat buns with it, but since I was weak from the sickness I've had I went with some carbs on this one. I just turn my eating upside down and go big meal in the morning and small bites through the day. It works so long as you add exercise in during the day.:mrgreen:

Back