THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

al_pastor

Knows what a fatty is.
I've been jonesin' to play with outdoor wok cooking for a while. I had read Kenji's ideas at serious eats on the subject and decided i would make the buddha's delight recipe from that site for my wife for lunch.

I spent yesterday afternoon at the hong kong market tracking down the ingredients. Hydrated the dry stuff overnight. The sauce smelled great to me with the shiitake today.

I lit a full chimney and let it gray up on top pretty well. Unfortunately I found that the wok really killed the coals when i set it on top of the chimney. Maybe some holes up top would help it out. It was not near hot enough so i fired the side burner on my gasser and finished the cook on there. It did mich better, but still nowhere near what i wanted.

Unfortunately my wife did not like the recipe. She appreciated the efiort, but it was a fail. She really could not handle the chow pai yu. Mostly though she said there was not much flavor in it, she thought it just tasted like soy sauce.

No biggie, I learned some things. This afternoon I dug out my banjo cooker, I figured that should pit out the heat I was looking for. I tested it with just half a wok full of water. It got a raging boil pretty quick, but i could smell a little plastic smell. After I shut'er down I saw the booster handle on the other side had cracked. Instead of buying something with no plastic I think I will bust the plastic off surrounding the metal and just plan on wearing geilling gloves with it. If that does not work I will go back to the HK market and look at the wok sets they have. Something with a lid would be good any way.

Good times. I have a few other stir fry recipes bookmarked to try, so will be fun to work on this technique until I get it dialed. I will post some photos in a minute from the computer in a minute. I cant seem to get the bbcode from flickr on my iphone.

27603549830_cd76f6d48e_b.jpg
27603557720_fb1df00bb1_b.jpg
27269695393_f7cf39679c_b.jpg
27272579704_10d1678fec_b.jpg
27884507225_dc2fe75454_b.jpg

Back