THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dozer996

Knows what WELOCME spells.
I'm getting close to having my builder construct an outdoor kitchen on our covered patio.

I've attached a picture of the patio, I've drawn in where the TV will be and the sectional, also I put in the proposed BBQ island.

I'm going to have a sink by the wall, a under fridge, and for sure my Big Joe on this Island.

Question's I have, do I get a Gasser for the Island or should I get a Santa Maria pit worked into this Island instead? Is the Island I have drawn out in a good spot?

Attachments

• Patio.jpg
    Patio.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 239
that's a bit of a hard question to ask,

so do you have either or have you cooked on either?

how tall will your ceilings be?

will the patio be fully enclosed or completely open?

do you really want to have an open flame (if patio is enclosed)?

will you have enough air flow either way?

just a few questions to maybe help with your decision.

have you checked out this thread?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108239

it may help with your decisions?

If I'm reading this plan right, you want to put the grill under a ceiling. If so, then I'd lean towards a gasser with a good lid and good ceiling clearance. If you put a wood/charcoal burner in there, you're going to need a hood or you'll have some sooty ceilings in short order (if not a fire). Not to mention, your building inspector will have kittens when she/he sees it.

On a practical note, generally speaking, wood cookers are messy and unpredictable. Ideally, you'd want to isolate it somewhere away from the social areas with nothing overhead and somewhat wind protected. Gassers are a lot more forgiving because of the controlled heat, lack of embers, and lids. Even still, you need sufficient clearance to keep your house safe.

that's a bit of a hard question to ask,

so do you have either or have you cooked on either?

how tall will your ceilings be?

will the patio be fully enclosed or completely open?

do you really want to have an open flame (if patio is enclosed)?

will you have enough air flow either way?

just a few questions to maybe help with your decision.

have you checked out this thread?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108239

it may help with your decisions?

I currently have a Weber Summit that I'm selling for a builtin Natural Gas Bull 36" or the Santa Maria Pit (used one of these before)...but after hearing the part about residue going up to the ceiling, I'm going to pass on that idea...so gasser it is.

Ceiling Height is 10 foot in the flat section and 18ft in the cathedral.

Patio is open with a large fan to circulate air in the cathedral.

you asked........ so if it were me and I was spending your money. I would go with the santa maria. have it made out of brick, stone or steel a hood over top to take the heat/smoke away.

Back