OT - Deep Fried Turkey help

If you TURN OFF THE FLAME when installing the bird in the hot oil there is virtually no way to cause a fire.:doh:

Yeah, I read about that little trick too, but then where's the fun and suspense in that??? :twisted::flame:

For real though, it sounds like turning off the flame for a minute and then lowering (and raising when done )real slow will prevent any issues whatsoever.

Nothing wrong with frying. I openly admit it is my favorite way to eat turkey vs smoked. Though this year I was going to mess around with smoking it for a little bit and then frying to finish :-D. Fry on!!

Oh and I also turn off the fire when I dunk the bird. Very good idea.

I learned with my first bird, put it in the oil with the legs pointing up. If you go the other way the small hole in the top of the bird will act as a volcano forcing the hot oil to spew, forcing the bird to be lowered very slowly. With larger hole in the butt end allows oil to flow out a lot slower so it can be lowered faster.

You could do a smofryed turkey. This involves smoking your bird for 1 to 1 1/2 hours in heavy smoke, then put it in the fryer, that is some good stuff right there. go to Alton browns website, he used a step ladder and pull to raise and lower the bird, for safety sake.
Dave

the oils with the highest smoke point are safflower oil (We use this at home) and grapeseed oil which you can find in grocery stores. Also, Extra light olive oil is good too.

You've got all the advice you need - go for it!

I injected with creole butter the last time I fried one and it was very good. Please be safe when doing this and have a fire extinguisher handy. I rigged up a turkey derrick last time, because a) I was less likely to burn myself and b) it was fun to do.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121171

Brave man to be frying that turkey in shorts :shock:

Brave man to be frying that turkey in shorts :shock:

That's actually a spectator/guest in the shorts and is standing further back than it appears in the pic. I looked like I had a redneck hazmat suit on - face shield, welding gloves, jeans, thick long sleeve shirt.

Back