THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very good point...the pass out to fire stoke!

Don't sleep on the Mary Lou Retton dismount out of the folded chair.

They said that there were team members that had to talk him out of bringing the block rocker to the award show. The story is that he threatened/promised to do the first ever color commentary at the awards. His compromise was to cue up the Ric Flair intro music for any and all calls to slow walk to the stage.

At that point, Jared said that they hid the block rocker from him. When you have the entire beer garden ready to walk to the stage and the event member has to pump the breaks and say "no no mutombo", it just about got out of control.

After the award show, Whiskey Bent bought two kegs for the beer garden ...$500. C'mon this stuff didn't happen at the one stinkin event that I missed.

Can anybody speak to the truth in any of this?

That would have been hilarious. Dade City can't get here fast enough.

Didn't the WB boys take a reserve grand last year in the backyard in Dade City? I remember them walking a few times.

I'm ready to cook! I'll try to look pretty for the Food Blitz crew if they want some close ups of some competitors.

Now I've heard it all...

I talked to Chad and he was trying to convince me that they cooked on a Green Mountain Grill (pellet smoker) for their ribs and brisket. There is no way that this happened...did anybody see a pellet smoker out there?

I'll be rolling the Hog Whisperer, Green Egg, Drum Smoker, and a modified cambro with offset firebox. That's just to get my bite through skin on chicken. I heard Rub spilled his chicken in Clermont, so I can't risk that..gonna finish it off in the cambro cooker.

On top of that, I'll be feeding an acres worth of oak into the hog whisperer the whole weekend. If anybody wants to see what a cord of wood looks like being cooked in one session to get to 225 degrees, swing on by.

Also, for the anything but contest I'm cooking a whole hog stuffed with mashed potatoes and finished with gravy on top. Diamonds where the eyes were, 24 k gold ring in the nose, and a saddle on the back. I'm presenting it in my sons radio flyer wagon and gonna ride it up to turn in...with my dessert submission in hand.

For dessert, I'm turning in apple fritters from Donut Man in Winter Haven.

For sauce, I'm turning in ranch dressing aka Florida White Sauce

Say I can't win at least one of these categories???

Rats!! I didn't get back in time to make the entry deadline! Oh well, maybe next year.

I'll probably still go in case they need extra judges. If they don't need judges does anybody need a DB?? Will work for a sample!

Russ

My vote for Backyard - Grand Champion is PT's Sweet Heat since WB beat me by a few tenths of a point last year. :cool: But you never know.

Just kidding. Stop by and say hey or I will. We spoke in Mulberry for a few.

It's on...Rub Me Tender/Sweet Heat...do you want in?

Straight up for whomever finishes higher and 2:1 if that person also wins Grand. This is for $5 pig bucks without the pig in front of it.

Contestants are as follows:
Good Buddies
Sweet Heat
Rub Me Tender

WoooHoooo!!!! Change of events!! I'm in!!

A fellow Bretheren emailed me and said that he had entered but couldn't make it. So he bequeathed his spot to me! I just got off the phone with the VERY nice event organizer and she said no problem! I owe you one brother!!

Russ

We'll see. I'm experimenting with injections and a brine so it's too much unknown for me. We will have a few beers and talk about it on Friday. :cool:

Injections & Brines...Game Over!

I have never used an injection, brine only my brisket, and rub all of my food with Lawry's. It's how you cook it...and I am the best at being very inconsistent at that.

The 'team' name is "Second Star BBQ". SWMBO picked it out cause she says that I refuse to grow up (second star to the right and straight on 'til morning...). I highlight 'team' as I am a team of one.

Swing on by! I don't have a banner or anything yet ($$$). My teal Ford truck is probably the easiest to spot. Always have a coldie ready to go!

Russ

WoooHoooo!!!! Change of events!! I'm in!!
A fellow Bretheren emailed me and said that he had entered but couldn't make it. So he bequeathed his spot to me! I just got off the phone with the VERY nice event organizer and she said no problem! I owe you one brother!!
Russ

Russ,
What is the name of the team you will be replacing?. What is the official name of your team? I am one of the Reps working that contest and need that info. Also if you could put some sort of team sign at your site (even a piece of cardboard and crayon lettering) would help us when we do meat inspections, deliver boxes and any time we need to find you.

Thanks

RKS if you talking about me I have not received any email from you. I left you my phone number.

I wish that I didn't already have a food event here in town I'm committed to this weekend - I'd love to come over and hang out with you guys.

Chappy - is it safe to assume you'll be at the contest in Grant in September? Russ already said that he'll be at that one too.

Augie, we will be in Grant this year. I came in 14th overall last year in Grant. That was my first Pro comp. Its nice when it is so close by. I will compete under the name Toothache BBQ...Better than a root canal. My patients get a kick out of the name!

Congrats to Budmiesters on the GC, and Whiskey Bent showing why they stepped it up by getting RGC.
Good Buddies slapped us around and put up a GC. Way to go guys. The Hog Whisperer was looking good.

Back