Opinions on FAB?

FAB contains phosphates

CONTAINS: Hydrolyzed soy protein, partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed oil, sodium phosphates, monosodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.

In addition to the phosphates for moisture retention (which I think all injections have), they also have glutamates to enhance the savory flavor of meats. They aren't just in MSG. Look at what's in the FAB:

Monosodium glutamate = glutamate
Hydrolyzed soy protein = glutamate
Partially hydrogenated soybean = glutamate
Autolyzed yeast extract = glutamate

Read the ingredients next time you buy stuff at the store. There are lots of code words for glutamates since food producers know people don't like to see MSG on the label.

Anyway, my point is that unless you are making your own sauces and rubs from scratch, you are probably already using some form of glutamates anyway.

Where do you get that needle?

He's referring to the F. Dick 90050 brine pump. JacksOldSouth.com sells them as well as some other places. It's a great injector for pork shoulder and I use it for that purpose, but I prefer something smaller like a Cajun Injector for thinner briskets.

Actually I do make my own rubs and sauces from scratch! I didn't know, however, that those other ingredients were glutamates. I understand what you're saying about glutamates enhancing the savory flavor of meats. The japanese concept of "umami", which is refered to as savory or delicious, is actually naturally occurring glutamates in foods like tomatoes, asparagus, and soy sauce. I want my BBQ to have mega umami!

Back