Contest Announcment Norwalk BBQ PIT Cancelled September 9,10 &11 2011 Norwalk Ct..

Total Bummer! This is the only close contest we have for all of are friends and family to come and hang with us. Too bad it could't work out. I am going to have one hell of a spread for the Giants game Sunday.

It's a shame they could not find room for us. If you've ever been there you know how HUGE these grounds are. Did this rain effect anything else about the festival? Or is was it just us?

-Mike

It's a shame they could not find room for us. If you've ever been there you know how HUGE these grounds are. Did this rain effect anything else about the festival? Or is was it just us?

-Mike

According to the voice mail John left me, it's just the BBQ contest that was cancelled. I am not sure how 50,000 people walking on the field isn't going to do just as much damage, but I guess it's the organizer's call. It's too bad it's so last minute, all the other contests are Fri/Sat contests this weekend, so too late to get in those.

Can I interest anyone in some REALLY BIG American flags? Still in the box. :becky: At least I didn't build a pirate ship for this one.

According to the voice mail John left me, it's just the BBQ contest that was cancelled. I am not sure how 50,000 people walking on the field isn't going to do just as much damage, but I guess it's the organizer's call. It's too bad it's so last minute, all the other contests are Fri/Sat contests this weekend, so too late to get in those.

Can I interest anyone in some REALLY BIG American flags? Still in the box. :becky: At least I didn't build a pirate ship for this one.

Assuming there are some folks out there with a whole hog waiting to be cooked too? Lots of $ has already been invested that is difficult to recoup. sorry guys, this sucks.

I called around and found out there is a non-sanctioned rib contest in Pawtucket, RI this Saturday the 10th. The organizers told us that they originally wanted to have this be a full blown KCBS sanctioned event, but the NEBS folks talked them out of it because it was the same weekend as Norwalk. Oops! :shock:

The contest, as it stands now, is a "celebrity judge" rib event on Saturday with mostly local vendors participating. The organizers did express some interest in getting a few pro teams in there. They are checking to see how many spaces they can free up, and they gave us permission to post on here to gauge interest.

Please PM me or post here if you are interested. We should know by tomorrow morning how many spots they will have, the entry fee, etc. If you already have your ribs, why not go?

The contest pays the first three finishers, $500, $250, and $150.
The organizers are planning to do a full KCBS event next year, so may be a good way to check out the venue. Oh yeah, it's on pavement. No flooding.

The URL is here: http://lilrhodyribfest.com/

Cutoff was supposed to be August 1st, but currently it's ONLY vendors in the contest, and they would love to get a few pro teams in there.

When an organizer puts as much as this up front to make this happen for a Charity you have to praise them for being responsible enough to cut bait for themselves and the Charity by which they are raising funds for. I Commend them for this and if it was anyone of you here with your resources you'd do the same! Stop playing Monday morning Qtr back. Not to mention the slips and fall lawsuits. I for one trust their Judgement... " The Perfect Butt"

When an organizer puts as much as this up front to make this happen for a Charity you have to praise them for being responsible enough to cut bait for themselves and the Charity by which they are raising funds for. I Commend them for this and if it was anyone of you here with your resources you'd do the same! Stop playing Monday morning Qtr back. Not to mention the slips and fall lawsuits. I for one trust their Judgement... " The Perfect Butt"

i think BBQ competitors are "make it happen" type of people, regardless of conditions.

i don't see anyone second guessing the decision the comp can't be on the field, running AC in standing water would well, be just farkin stupid.

but, as a group, failure isn't an option, and i see that sentiment being expressed here.

there REALLY isn't somewhere else we could've been located? maybe yes, maybe no. but in the end, i trust their decision and all the thought they MUST have put into it.

or they're just mad about the chowder PC.

How about the cost to repair the feild vs the money given to the Charity. why would you do Anything for a loss unless it's a hobby.

Norwalk has always been a team friendly event, and I am sure the organizers are losing money by calling it off. They have a sunk cost in insurance, advertising, infrastructure, KCBS fees and travel expenses, and (I suspect) a truck of whole hogs. I doubt that they took this decision lightly.

That said, I can also understand why people are asking questions. The Oyster Festival is still being held. The field is OK for 50,000 visitors, 27 bands on two stages, a motocross stunt show, over hundred craft vendors, and a carnival, but it's a safety risk for BBQ?

Let's just hope the BBQ Pit returns next year.

Chowder

i think BBQ competitors are "make it happen" type of people, regardless of conditions.

i don't see anyone second guessing the decision the comp can't be on the field, running AC in standing water would well, be just farkin stupid.

but, as a group, failure isn't an option, and i see that sentiment being expressed here.

there REALLY isn't somewhere else we could've been located? maybe yes, maybe no. but in the end, i trust their decision and all the thought they MUST have put into it.

or they're just mad about the chowder PC.

Yea I am mad about the chowder:crazy:

John Vuoso

203-623-0606

Yea I am mad about the chowder:crazy:

John Vuoso

203-623-0606

Pulled Pork People's Choice 2PM-3PM on Sunday Try it. There wouldn't be much reason to not participate in that. It's a shot at more prize money without a lot of incremental investment, and no risk of throwing out enough food to feed 500 people like last year.

Back