THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ninja - didn't see that one coming with all that snow - how many people in your area were having great backyard cooked ribs with all that snow? I'm drooling. Purpose, faith, skill, fire! Love it.

You are welcome. I like that you view this also as something you can weave into your own thang.

I had some concerns too. The time is longer for those of us that never opened to spritz and yet reminds me of the time I built a spritzer that operated without actually having to open the pit door. Yes... you are reading that right.

I ended up reducing the rub (knocking it off) as well and I agree I should have used less. This is stellar of Brisket. And honestly on chicken it ain't bad either.

what "other rub" did you use.

And done

Conclusion: they were good and savory, a bit more color than I wanted. The ribs had a brisket like bark too them which isn't a bad thing, just it was bit more than the pics from Killens. I'd like to try without the regular rub and just slightly less gravel rub. I like the idea of the hot sauce slather I'll give it a try on future cooks. I also think hitting a rack with a pinch of the gravel will add something to my standard rib cooks. The spritz added a nice savory element, I think I liked it more than just watered down Worcester. I'll give this method another go and see how it goes. definitely techniques here that I'll use in other cooks, I like to mix up my rib cooks to keep things from getting stale. Thanks for sharing Donnie

The other rub was bone sucking sauce seasoning and rub. it has a lot of sugar and may have contributed to the extra color. I put a very a light coat on. i usually mix it 50/50 with my flash powder (my house brisket mix) for ribs amd should have tried that orthe season salt instead. The spritz definitely added time. The cook was close to 5 hours where it is normally closer to 4. I spritzed about every half hour to 45 min starting after 2 hrs and the cooker was down around 250 for a bit (all that opening made temps unstable and i wasn't gonna fight it)

The first time I did this I only spritzed one rack. HUGE difference. The spritz adds flavor in this case (and I am not a spritz supporter), compliments the rub, and bonds it better as well as looking good.

Nice job on the ribs! I use the foil diffuser on the OTG everytime I smoke on it.

The Ninja - didn't see that one coming with all that snow - how many people in your area were having great backyard cooked ribs with all that snow? I'm drooling. Purpose, faith, skill, fire! Love it.

I'm not far from Steve, I bet he was hoping to be doing those on an Acorn, but that hasn't happened as of yet ( tough to get a loaned out smoker back, dang excuses). After moving a lot of snow, I did country ham, 3 lbs of bacon, wings. Weather doesn't stop an addiction :twitch:

I'm not far from Steve, I bet he was hoping to be doing those on an Acorn, but that hasn't happened as of yet ( tough to get a loaned out smoker back, dang excuses). After moving a lot of snow, I did country ham, 3 lbs of bacon, wings. Weather doesn't stop an addiction :twitch:

With a negative wind chill today would have been a perfect day to put the akorn through its paces. No big biggie it'll happen when it happens.

When it gets cold I park a grill in next to my front door, it's literally one step away so smoking in extreme weather isn't that bad. I take so much time off this time of year that I Q almost as much as in the summer. What else am I gonna doo.

I like the ingredients in your spritz. Nice flavor combination. :thumb:

If youve discredited spritzing and mops give this one a try, it may change your mind.

I had written off spritzing until I cooked a clod and spritzed it per Donnie. I'm a believer. Even though I've been cooking a lot of ribs lately, I may do some more this weekend this way.

Back