Rib Competition Question

ferdelious

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Matt
It's our 2nd annual neighborhood rib cook off. Nothing much at stake other than pride, bragging rights and a pretty cool trophy that one of my friends made. I'm the only competitor with a stick burner. A few of the guys have kamados and the others use oven/gas grills.

I really want to win this year(runner-up last year) because I feel like I have the advantage with the best cooker. So here are my questions to the rib masters:

Baby backs or spares? I'm leaning towards spares and cutting St. Louis style. I prefer the flavor of baby backs but sometimes they can be too lean and dry out.

Duroc or Costco? There's a meat purveyor locally were I can pick up some Duroc pork. I haven't priced it out yet but I'm assuming it will be considerably more than my go to Costco ribs. I want to win but at what price?

Rub- Straight salt and pepper or should I add some spices like garlic powder, chile powder and paprika?

Spritz or no spritz? I was considering spraying with a combo of apple cider vinegar, apple juice and hot sauce.

Sauce when foiling? I watched where Franklin likes to sauce his ribs when in foil for the last hour. If I do this, should I unwrap and let them glaze for the last 10-15 minutes? My go to is usually to sauce at the end and let them caramelize on a hot grill.

Thanks in advance!

I would cook whatever you think the judges will most prefer, because they, not you, will determine the winner :thumb:

I 2nd the above.

Also is this just a who's ribs taste best or are they presentation, tenderness and flavor points?
Will all be turned in a like plate or container?

I 2nd the above.

Also is this just a who's ribs taste best or are they presentation, tenderness and flavor points?
Will all be turned in a like plate or container?

Pretty much just judged on taste. No points for presentation but I believe that visual appearance can influence taste.

I never attempted to do competitions, but you have me wondering, does it not matter what type of rib you use? I would think baby back and spare are two separate category's?

So, this sounds like more of a popular vote (public) not trained/ceritified judges. That being the case, I would go for fall off the bone St. Louis style and use 3-2-1. That has worked like a charm for me. Look up Johnny Trigg ribs. That should fill in a lot of gaps.

It's our 2nd annual neighborhood rib cook off. Nothing much at stake other than pride, bragging rights and a pretty cool trophy that one of my friends made. I'm the only competitor with a stick burner. A few of the guys have kamados and the others use oven/gas grills.

I really want to win this year(runner-up last year) because I feel like I have the advantage with the best cooker. So here are my questions to the rib masters:

Baby backs or spares? I'm leaning towards spares and cutting St. Louis style. I prefer the flavor of baby backs but sometimes they can be too lean and dry out.

Duroc or Costco? There's a meat purveyor locally were I can pick up some Duroc pork. I haven't priced it out yet but I'm assuming it will be considerably more than my go to Costco ribs. I want to win but at what price?

Rub- Straight salt and pepper or should I add some spices like garlic powder, chile powder and paprika?

Spritz or no spritz? I was considering spraying with a combo of apple cider vinegar, apple juice and hot sauce.

Sauce when foiling? I watched where Franklin likes to sauce his ribs when in foil for the last hour. If I do this, should I unwrap and let them glaze for the last 10-15 minutes? My go to is usually to sauce at the end and let them caramelize on a hot grill.

Thanks in advance!

Pretty much just judged on taste. No points for presentation but I believe that visual appearance can influence taste.

Bragging rights make for a good competition.

It's the cook, not the cooker, don't over think this and don't underestimate your neighbors.

For a neighborhood comp, go with the baby backs, just cook them correctly even though they might not be your favorite.

Save the Duroc for your family.

Use your favorite rub.

Spritzing is fine.

Sauce in the foil, sure.

Don't worry how Aaron would cook them.

Glaze, yes... but have some sauce at the table.

Lastly, have fun.

PS, try not to gloat too much, there is always next year.

Last edited:
First of all, Good Luck!!
Sometimes it is best not to over think the cook. Flavor is what makes it, and yes, presentation always helps the "eye's eat first". Prep's the brain for what is to be eaten.
The 3-2-1 method is always the best and the choice of spares or Baby Backs is yours. What do you feel better /comfortable with?
A good rub makes for a good flavor profile; with that I go 1/4 rub/glaze flavor; 1/4 smoke flavor; 1/2 pork flavor, as the basis of my cook, flavor profile.
A little sweet first with a little heat in the bite taste seems to be a good combo.
Again Good Luck!

Bragging rights make for a good competition.

It's the cook, not the cooker, don't over think this and don't underestimate your neighbors.

For a neighborhood comp, go with the baby backs, just cook them correctly even though they might not be your favorite.

Save the Duroc for your family.

Use your favorite rub.

Spritzing is fine.

Sauce in the foil, sure.

Don't worry how Aaron would cook them.

Glaze, yes... but have some sauce at the table.

Lastly, have fun.

PS, try not to gloat too much, there is always next year.

+1

Don't overthink it.

Cook what you are comfortable with. You can make Costco "Swift" meat taste great.

Are the judges doing one bite? Or are they eating a whole rib?

Make them sweet, use some honey and brown sugar along with some butter when you wrap. Judges like candy! Lightly dust with your rub after applying some sauce before turn in. Slightly over cooked is better than undercooked, almost fall off the bone tender will do well in this type of competition

whether you cook spares or BBs, make sure the samples submitted for judging are "judges cut" (one rib bone trimmed all the way to next bone on both sides - such that you end up with a rib with a lot of meat on both sides).

the effect of a meaty rib is always positive

Back