New smoker business

[FONT=&quot]Hey guys, just wanted to post a quick write up about the weekend cook. We loaded it up with 9 shoulders and 1 huge brisket. I started out by running at about 450-500 degrees for about 3 hours, just to see what kind of effects the high temps will have on the firebox area. After we let it cool down, we through everything on. The white oak shown in the pic is all of the wood that we used for the 3 hours at high heat, and then about 4-5 hours around 275. With everything loaded, we added stick every 40 minutes or so, give or take. Temps during the stick burning time were about 5-10 higher for each rack that got closer to the bottom. The very bottom rack was about 40 degrees hotter for this portion of the cook, but I later found out the my temp probe was actually hanging down, about 4” below rack level. So I don’t think the temp difference was that significant. After about 4-5 hours, we wrapped the brisket and added 16 lbs of lump charcoal. No wrap for the pork, as I wanted to see if we would run into grease problems (we didn’t). I closed up the valve and it coasted through the night. I woke up a few times to check temps and they were always in the 200-235 range (just what I like overnight). The temp difference between the racks, was less significant when running charcoal. At 7:30, everything was done and I dropped the temp to 150 until we pulled everything, about 4 hours later. All in all, I was thrilled with the way everything cooked. Even though the bottom rack appeared to run a little bit hotter, the meat on the bottom did not finish a great deal earlier than the rest of the meat. I have a couple of mods that I’d like try for the next cook, but for now I’m real happy with it. Thanks for looking![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pete[/FONT]

Attachments

• 2017-03-04 14.49.03.jpg
    2017-03-04 14.49.03.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 2017-03-04 15.02.50.jpg
    2017-03-04 15.02.50.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 330
  • 2017-03-04 15.11.57.jpg
    2017-03-04 15.11.57.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 332
  • 2017-03-04 15.36.05.jpg
    2017-03-04 15.36.05.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 2017-03-04 17.27.29.jpg
    2017-03-04 17.27.29.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 331
  • 2017-03-04 18.45.37.jpg
    2017-03-04 18.45.37.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 330
The end result. Couldn't be happier.

Attachments

• 2017-03-05 07.02.57.jpg
    2017-03-05 07.02.57.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 334
  • 2017-03-05 07.03.30.jpg
    2017-03-05 07.03.30.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 2017-03-05 07.04.04.jpg
    2017-03-05 07.04.04.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 2017-03-05 12.48.49.jpg
    2017-03-05 12.48.49.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 334
Thanks Kevin. I also wanted to mention that I'm thinking about adding a fixed water pan with drain and fill piping. Thoughts from anyone on the benefits of drawbacks of a fixed water pan? Thanks for your feedback!
Pete

I'm thinking with your thicker metal and extra bracing and being direct flow stick burning would work. I don't see how it's much different than how smitty insulated his direct flow vertical. Right???

Awesome progress on your new venture. Where does the cheese curd warming tray fit?? You gotta try smoking some brats for 45 minutes and then drop them into your bottom beer (err..water) pan for a hot bath...

Looks great. Them some big butts! Nice call on the Spotted Cow.

Glad to hear grease was not a problem. Did those grease gutters you added end up doing much?

I like the idea of a remote water refill. I would imagine it would avoid making a mess of things especially if access while running is tight. Although, Ill admit I like the idea mostly because I like complications on my gadgets more than anything else, and you get to say "its a remote water refill system" when somebody asks "what's that for." Ooos and aaahs should follow. Of course that means that youll have to rig up an external water level meter. :)

Thanks guys. I do plan on doing some sausage or brats pretty soon. I've got a bunch of venison in the freezer that I need to turn into something good! The grease deflectors seemed to work, but I think they had a bit of a negative effect on the airflow. I'm going to include them on the next build but the new dimensions will allow for the more airflow. I plan on making a couple mods this week and then we'll do another big cook this weekend, to test the changes. After that I think it'll be pretty close. Just want to say thanks to all the brethren. I've gotten some great feedback from PM's as well, and I sincerely appreciate all of your input.
Pete

Years ago my buddy and I built identical smokers except one he put his smoke stack where you put yours I put mine on the back. After years of smoking his buildup in the stack would fall down on his meat. He always said why didn't he mount it on the back like I did.

Thanks Jsnow, I'm planning making the next one with he stack in the back of the cooker, for just that reason. At first I was concerned that having the stack in the back would have a negative effect on the airflow, but after talking with a few people it sounds like it probably wont. Thanks for the tip.

Years ago my buddy and I built identical smokers except one he put his smoke stack where you put yours I put mine on the back. After years of smoking his buildup in the stack would fall down on his meat. He always said why didn't he mount it on the back like I did.

Thanks Jsnow, I'm planning making the next one with he stack in the back of the cooker, for just that reason. At first I was concerned that having the stack in the back would have a negative effect on the airflow, but after talking with a few people it sounds like it probably wont. Thanks for the tip.

I've got an old uninsulated round vertical with the exhaust in the back or edge. Everyone says it is wrong but it cooks perfectly. I had it built like that on purpose.

This is just a pet peeve of mine...I prefer the doors to be on the wider side. That way I don't have to pull the rack all the way out to get to the meat in the back. I cook a lot of briskets in my cabinet and I just open the door and both are right there vs one in front and one in the back. It's one of the reasons I didn't buy a Humphreys, well that and the price was double what I paid for the same size. Just my .02

Good luck on the smoker sales. Looks like you make a real nice cooker.

I think BBQ Guru just revamped the Oynx Ovens to do this. I think the original ones were designed to hold a hotel pan front to back and they realized they could flop that around and make the door wider and the unit itself shallower so that you can get to all the meat easier.

Different racks

I for one am not a big fan of expanded metal used for food racks. I'm already the proud owner of a Backwoods vertical.....and I love their SS 1/4" racks...easy to clean and will probably outlast the smoker itself.

Best of luck brother.......it looks like a well made animal!.....My only add is that no matter WHAT kind you build......#1...have a person or persons whose job is priority ONE to answer phone/email/correspondence quickly, with knowledge, and honestly. #2 ....maybe most important......HAVE GREAT TIRES THAT ROLL ON ANY SURFACE!!......SERIOUSLY.....Best of luck buddy....great looking machine.!!

I for one am not a big fan of expanded metal used for food racks. I'm already the proud owner of a Backwoods vertical.....and I love their SS 1/4" racks...easy to clean and will probably outlast the smoker itself.

I hear what you're saying Dan. We've got stainless racks on our big offset and they are easy to clean. At the same time, I've always had pretty good luck with good expanded steel (just not quite as easy to clean). We're doing everything we can to make a real solid pit that we can sell for well below $2,000. That price range kind of forces us to use something other than stainless for the standard racks. Stainless will definitely be an option for upgrade though.

I just wanted to chime in and thank Ironside Smokers for being very responsive on Facebook Messenger with my questions. Being responsive is key for your success, so good start so far.

I just wanted to chime in and thank Ironside Smokers for being very responsive on Facebook Messenger with my questions. Being responsive is key for your success, so good start so far.

Thanks Tim! Look forward to talking with you!
Pete

Looks very nice Pete! I like where you're headed!........And you can't go wrong with a Spotted Cow!........

Even us flatlanders know about Wisonsin's pride and joy!

Nice looking pit. And I just noticed that you are in Madison. So am I. I might just have to check this out sometime. Even know I just bought a new pit this past fall.

Back