THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KnucklHed BBQ

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Head KnucklHed
Well, Finally I've been able to get my new jumbo sized smoker build underway!

I've been planning/saving for this for the past 9 months or so and am sooo excited to see it comming to fruition!

I've had a jumble of a whole bunch of lower end backyard cookers and have really enjoyed them, but it gets to be a bit of a hassle when cooking for a large crowd or heading off to a bbq comp, trying to load all of my smokers up and having space for them all.

I wanted something bigger that (hopefully) I would not out grow for quite sometime.
I also wanted something that didn't require a trailer, and something that could be mostly left on its own for over night cooks (extra sleep mod).

And finally, it had to be able to put up with any type of weather conditions that I'd be in - so insulated was a must.

I decided to canabalize my Traeger lil' Tex and use the pellet hopper/auger/firepot for the primary heat source (extra sleep part) but I really dont care for the flavor of JUST pellets (it's not bad, they just dont taste the same as wood & charcoal) so I will also have a UDS style fire basket in it too! :thumb:

I liked the FEC style cabinet smoker, so I kinda ran with that idea.

Here are some pics - sorry about the quality, the 1st few were taken with a crappy phone, the last ones were with a new phone...

The outter shell is made from 20ga. paint lock sheet metal. Paint lock is galvanized sheet that comes primered and ready for paint. :clap2:
40" overall height, 40" wide & 26" deep
20100908134359Medium.jpg

Back side - The pellet hopper/auger will be attached at the lower center of the back, about 1" off the floor.
The seam that attaches the back to the rest of it is called a pittsburg seam, it is essentially air & water tight, the seam folds the 2 pieces of sheet over on eachother 3 times and then is squished together tightly. You can literally hit it with a hammer and not dent it.

20100908134411Medium.jpg

The base is solid and riveted to the rest of the cabinet making it extremely rigid.

20100908134438Medium.jpg

The inside liner is S.S. and removable for cleaning. It also has the pittsburg seam on the back.

Inside liner dimentions - 3ft wide x 2ft tall x 2ft deep. 2ft x 3ft racks.

2010-09-10160417Medium.jpg

I have 3 shelves 6" apart and 1 at 3.5" (the lower one) with the option of adding more shelf space later for cooking masses of ribs or chicken. The additional shelves would be 3" apart, making room for 8 racks!

The 4 racks should be pleanty of space... 2ft x 3ft = 6 sq ft x 4 racks = 24 sq/ft of cooking space!! woo-hoo!

The top corners here are open, not sure yet how I'm going to close them up... suggestions?

2010-09-10160424Medium.jpg

Here it is with the liner installed and door held in place to show the final results.
I had the door open downward so that I can attach chain to it and have it double as a table top when open.

The fella in the picture is Vallery - the Ukranian sheet metal genius that took my wacky idea from paper and made it happen!

2010-09-10160154Medium.jpg

I figured that the smoke stack from the traeger might deserve a home too...

2010-09-10160227Medium.jpg

I'll post more pics as it progresses, hopefully I'll have it by this weekend!!

Thanks for looking!

And I'm totally open to any suggestions you might have to improve on the design!

do you have any knowledge about offsets, becasue i have built one for my self and i am having troube maintaining a constant temp.... thank you

That is awesome:thumb:, quality unit for sure:clap2::clap2:

Thanks Blue! I can't wait to fire it up!

do you have any knowledge about offsets, becasue i have built one for my self and i am having troube maintaining a constant temp.... thank you

Sorry my friend, I ain't that smart... I'd recommend starting a thread in Q-Talk with some pics of your cooker and ask for advice from others!

I forgot to mention, The walls are 2" thick and have 1" of insulation and 1" of airspace... should be able to hold a steady temp even in my Montana winters!

Back