THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokingMachine

Got rid of the matchlight.
Hi All,

As a child, my grandfather taught me how to smoke the Thanksgiving turkey in his cast iron kettle and I have been a bbq fiend since.

I grew up in the south around Memphis but have made New England home for longer than I care to think about.

Having lurked around the Brethren for a long time, I have been compelled to finally register because my hobby has transitioned past a socially inactive stage.

My strong suits are butts, ribeyes, briskets, turkeys, ribs, veggies, pizza, beer and bourbons. I have never tried to smoke chicken.

The kit consists of a 22.5 WSM (new addition, a few mods, more coming), 22.5 OTG (Old Faithful, smokenator / hovergrill), Smokey Joe, Char-Broil gasser (GrillGrates live here), Brinkmann Smoke-n-Grill (emergencies only) and 2-generic picnic/camping pieces. Thermapen. Maverick ET-73 and ET-732. Heatermeter / Linkmeter temperature controller with fan and servo. A couple of chimneys, electric starter, some various rib racks and a BillyBar, which doesn't get enough credit for its versatility.

Wood profiles run rampant and change all the time, but I generally like my fruits for my pork and hardwoods for my beef. This weekend was a first for pecan.

I use lump 90% of the time. Coals 5%. Gas 5%.

I mix my own rubs, cook my own sauce and bake the daily breads.

Thanks for not spam-bot filtering me out and I look forward to getting to know you folks.

Best,
Phillip

Back