THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

boomers bbq

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
ADAM
I am thinking of getting the Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, what is your opinions on this model.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking of getting the Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, what is your opinions on this model.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I've owned one for about 6 years. It's a great smoker unless you're ready to dish out big bucks for the more expensive ones. It is a fuel hog of sorts, you're going to have to feed the fire for long cooks, but that's part of the nostalgia and fun! Hot coal bed with lump and then feed splits works well to maintain temps. It will produce some fantastic eats and hold a good quantity of meat. I've even used it for a few competitions and it can hold its own against the big boys.

Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn

Whether you get the Highland or the Longhorn, one can't beat the price. But be forewarned! Unless you get the top of the line reverse flow type, you are going to have to modify the original! For a mass produced unit, they are quite good.

It really isn't hard to make the mods if you are somewhat handy or if you aren't, there are kits available. But they are almost a must! The tuning plate helps immensely in regulating the temperature distribution in the cooking chamber. Sealing all the seams with high temp sealant also helps since even on the reverse flow model, they are all just held together with nuts & bolts and can have some large gaps. Using a gasket on the cooking chamber lid helps quite a bit, but don't bother using the same gasket on the fuel lid. There is also a silicone gasket one can get, though you have to drill a large hole for it, for you to insert electronic temp probes so the wires don't come out the lid. There are two spots for temp gauges and you should fill them both.

I broke into smoking with the Highlander (smaller version of LH) and it produced some great food. They are both now available in reverse-flow models if you want to go that route.

Back