Need a little brethren help please...

How about BRAUNSCHWEIGER? It is the ONLY liver product I can injest. If you get a good one ...it is quite tasty. I know it is technicaly pork...but I think it has some of the same health benefits.

They aren’t bad Tom, salty, mineraly (is that even a word) dry and a little crunchy. It’s totally doable for me. My crew? Not so much... One of my kids said “It tastes just like I would think cow chit tastes, my other kid and Mrs. 4ever3 agreed :laugh:

If your looking to add beef liver to your diet I’d 100% say give it a shot. I’m going to eat one strip a day...

Last edited:
Cooked properly I think less people would hate liver. Growing up it was cooked until dry, was like eating a car tire, and needed lots of water or milk to be able to swallow it.

I do find I really enjoy it now cooked to medium-medium rare with a ton of caramelized onions. Nice sweetness to it and don't even taste livery.

snipage occurs
---
:clap: this X1000.

calf's liver, lots of bacon and sliced onions.

fry the bacon, adding the onions part way through.

pull the bacon & onions to drain, pour off excess fat, then put the sliced liver in on a HOT pan surface.

cook only for a few minutes each side, plate and serve with the onions and bacon.

redc1c4,

/me points to belly "this ain't Mc Donalds, it's good food and good beer"

"calf's liver, lots of bacon and sliced onions.
fry the bacon, adding the onions part way through.
pull the bacon & onions to drain, pour off excess fat, then put the sliced liver in on a HOT pan surface.
cook only for a few minutes each side, plate and serve with the onions and bacon."

That's how Mom used to make it, we had it every other week. She said at $.25 a lb she could make a full meal for a couple bucks.
I ate it but never really loved it. Wish she was here to make a meal of it.
Ed

I'm a member of the calf's liver and chicken liver lover's club.

You've already been given a good calf's liver recipe.

I didn't like chicken livers until I worked at a college food service once.

They would take chicken livers and coat in seasoned flour. Then put in a sheet pan that had some melted butter/margarine in the bottom. Once they livers were in the pan they would take a pastry brush and generously coat/drizzle the top of the livers with more butter/margarine. Bake in a medium oven til done. Quite tasty.

Gravy

I can’t stand the stuff but once my Girlfriend’s mom from the Mid-west made it and it was smothered in a ton of gravy and onions and I could actually get it down...

Back in the day (80's) KFC on Tuesdays had livers and gizzards by the pint. Imagine if you will pressure cooked in the Colonels secret recipe!!!
I search for a joint that does the same all the time.
Ed

Back in the day (80's) KFC on Tuesdays had livers and gizzards by the pint. Imagine if you will pressure cooked in the Colonels secret recipe!!!
I search for a joint that does the same all the time.
Ed

Some still sell them but they are on their secret menu and you have to ask nicely. They don't always have them though.:tsk: I'm not sure what determines when they have them.

Popeye's, at least the one near me, does not sell them.:mad:

Beef Liver, prepared correctly, is excellent, but I'm a fan of the dredge, batter, fry method, especially with some onions and then make a batch of gravy to cover the whole thing... can't stand chicken livers, that's fish bait and ONLY fish bait... chicken gizzards however... YUM!!!

Liver is like spam, if you don't cook it correctly, its horrible, but when done right, its delicious. Love me some liver and onions right now with mashed potatoes everything smothered in brown gravy.

Does it have to be beef liver?,
We ate it once a week as kids , cause it was cheap, of course mom over cooked the crap out of it and it was pretty bad...
Fast forward, Deer liver is MUCH better, and pork liver is the best so far, quick fry, no more then medium and it's good, of course it pairs well with carmelized onions.
I don't think I could try beef liver again, probably get PTSD, lol

Back