THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bproffer

Take a breath!
My smoker arrived today! I broke down and ordered a Yoder YS640 from ATBBQ last week and it arrived today! Talk about fast shipping!

I didnt want to seem like I was totally geeked and freak the delivery driver out by taking his picture, so I snuck a shot of the Fedex truck from my office window.

DSC02918.jpg

It was really well packaged and on a pallet. I convinced the delivery driver to take it to my back patio, but we couldnt get the pallet jack all the way back there, so I had to unpack it on the side of my house. That was quite a chore by myself, but managed to finally wrestle it off and into it spot on my patio. The thing weighs over 300 lbs.

DSC02921.jpg

DSC02925.jpg

Control Panel:

DSC02926.jpg

The top shelf slides out and has catches welded on the sides so the shelf doesnt tilt.

DSC02930.jpg

DSC02931.jpg

The chrome shelves are really solid. The fram is 3/8th solid chrom bar and the cross bars are 1/4" solid bar.

DSC02933.jpg

Here you can see the RTD placement for the controller, the fire pot, and the adjustable baffle.

DSC02935.jpg

The drip pan/heat deflector is very stout. I believe it is 10 gauge steel. Alot thicker than the Traeger.

DSC02942.jpg

Here is the grease drain. I like that it is a welded in channel that is angled toward the opening.

DSC02937.jpg

Here all the grates and heat deflector are installed. Thats alot of cooking area.

DSC02944.jpg

Here is the direct grill set up. The heat deflector is removed. I wish they made a half size drip pan to fit under the rack on the right side of the smoker when the grill grates are on there. It would be nice for indirect cooking say chicken or whatever so I could direct all the grease to the drip bucket instead of the bottom of the cooking chamber. I will probabbly look into having one made.

DSC02945.jpg

I burnt it in @ 350° for an hour or so per the mfg directions and cooked some salmon on it for tonights dinner. I am pretty excited to start cooking on it. I am very impressed by the build quality and craftsmanship of this thing. It is bult like a tank! I still have my XL BGE but this thing will be seeing most of the cooks for the next little bit. I cant wait to get this thing dirty!

Very nice. Did you get the hot plate too? It works great to cook the veggies on when direct grilling fajitas on the grill grate side. :thumb:

Nice unit. I cooked on a few of them at the Royall last year with pelletheads.com cooking team. They are great units and made like a tank. Visit the home site for great info on all pellet poopers!

One other trick... when you are in the direct grill setup, drop a griddle in on the other side (a weber griddle fits to a T), and you can knock out your veggies, or sear scallops to go with that salmon. We plank salmon in class, and the planks smolder/burn just like over a charcoal fire... then we move them to the indirect side, to finish. some of the best salmon you will ever eat! Enjoy the pit!

Back