THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have mine on a Pit Barrel Cooker, no more playing with the vent.

I got this battery based model, as the cooker is pretty portable, so I did not want a controller that plugged in.

I changed the batteries after 4 cooks, just to be safe. I will watch to see how long they last this time.

I think your times are running about the same as mine. When I went to turn on the PQ for the 5th cook, it showed the low battery signal. But that's going a total of 42 hours over 4 cooking I'm guessing.

Good Show !!!

that's the way I like the bark....nice & rich & dark.....chopped a bit & spread thru the finished batch is just right.....

Funny! It sure is nice to sleep through the night without rolling over and thinking, "I should go out and make sure the fire is OK." Some people aren't built that way and sleep just fine without worrying, but for those of us who aren't a temperature controller is nice thing to have.

Other than that, short of the fire completely going out or cooking on a tight schedule, I can also completely understand why many people don't feel the need for a guru - the meat will be done when it is done and for the most part the results are going to be just the same.

There are also competition folks who feel that controlling the fire is part of the skill. I get that, but unless/until a particular competition bans everyone from using them, I think you are handicapping yourself if you aren't. You may know your cookers and manage your fires just fine, but you still run a risk of a fire problem and that could hurt you (I've seen it happen). Meanwhile the 10 teams down the row are dialing in the temperatures on their cookers, focusing their attention elsewhere and virtually eliminating temperature control as a potential problem. I am not saying that is right or wrong, but it seems to be the way things are these days.

Of course I realize I am not the first person to think or say these things, I am just mentioning them as a counterpoint to some of the other comments.

Sleep thru most all of the overnites......no controllers, just a grate therm on each kettle....

The dawgs wake me up around 3;30 / 4:00 & again @ 7:30 just as a convenience to check in......don't know how they know, they just do.....:mrgreen:

I have mine on a Pit Barrel Cooker, no more playing with the vent.

I got this battery based model, as the cooker is pretty portable, so I did not want a controller that plugged in.

I changed the batteries after 4 cooks, just to be safe. I will watch to see how long they last this time.

4 10 + hour cooks seems to be the battery life.

Back