THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.
Premium

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
This is about my 5th time to use the Party Q on my 18.5 WSM. Went with a cook temp of 275*F and foil lined pan/no water.

The victim. The wife found a heck of a deal:

142y2hi.jpg

2libec6.jpg

Used Simply Marvelous Sweet & Spicy with some Kosher Salt:

4pzdb8.jpg

Went to load KBB into smoker and found had close to a full ring after using the Party Q to do ribs cooked for about 6 hours. In the past I would have used twice that much for the same cook time:

15oav4x.jpg

Reloaded the ring and added a good dose of Pecan wood chunks and lit some of the used KBB to start This was arount 9:30 PM:

rqw7th.jpg

2im5rmg.jpg

Got the butt on around 10 PM while the WSM was making Thin Blue Smoke:

5nlpvo.jpg

2rylwfs.jpg

v4pkhw.jpg

Fast forward to this morning. I guess the temp stayed exactly 275*F for 12 hours straight. I did not pull the lid off the smoker for 12 hours. I did have a meat probe in the meat but never used it. Here's what I had this morning:

14o81l5.jpg

33yg6l0.jpg

It probed like butta but is not mushy. It did come apart in 3 pieces when I picked it up.

20g1cax.jpg

2diq647.jpg

I will be doing the overnight smoke again for brisket and butts. The Party Q nailed the temp but that was on a calm night with no wind and a low OAT of around 77*F.

The other takeaways from this trial are that I have to leave the top vent 50% closed to get perfect temp control but my smoker leaks some/is not air tight. And if the lid is removed (learned from previous cooks) it's best to turn off the PQ and wait a few mins after replacing the lid so the temp can stabilize before turning it back on. Otherwise the temps can go high and the PQ can't bring them down.

PS: No butts were wrapped in the making of this pork.

Thanks for lookin'.

Great looking butt Mike! I didn't see where you mentioned the flavor.....How'd this butt compare to the others you've made flavor wise?

It was a 10 pound butt.
Before i went "hangin nekkid" high heat I was using my mini for 10 lb butts and cooked 300-325* and was always around 45 minutes per. I suppose that extra 25-50* does really speed things up.

Ya know I could have sent you my old partyQ. The thing works like a charm but just don't have use for it anymore, hasn't been used in years. I did break out my pitmaster IQ not too long ago and tried to sleep but I couldn't! Lol

I still can't trust them even though I know it will work unless there's a malfunction....which i have seen a few of those on here where people wake up to cold meat.

Party Q

I have mine on a Pit Barrel Cooker, no more playing with the vent.

I got this battery based model, as the cooker is pretty portable, so I did not want a controller that plugged in.

I changed the batteries after 4 cooks, just to be safe. I will watch to see how long they last this time.

Last edited:
Yeah while I was sleeping so good I had a dream that I had mad skills. :grin:

Funny! It sure is nice to sleep through the night without rolling over and thinking, "I should go out and make sure the fire is OK." Some people aren't built that way and sleep just fine without worrying, but for those of us who aren't a temperature controller is nice thing to have.

Other than that, short of the fire completely going out or cooking on a tight schedule, I can also completely understand why many people don't feel the need for a guru - the meat will be done when it is done and for the most part the results are going to be just the same.

There are also competition folks who feel that controlling the fire is part of the skill. I get that, but unless/until a particular competition bans everyone from using them, I think you are handicapping yourself if you aren't. You may know your cookers and manage your fires just fine, but you still run a risk of a fire problem and that could hurt you (I've seen it happen). Meanwhile the 10 teams down the row are dialing in the temperatures on their cookers, focusing their attention elsewhere and virtually eliminating temperature control as a potential problem. I am not saying that is right or wrong, but it seems to be the way things are these days.

Of course I realize I am not the first person to think or say these things, I am just mentioning them as a counterpoint to some of the other comments.

Funny! It sure is nice to sleep through the night without rolling over and thinking, "I should go out and make sure the fire is OK." Some people aren't built that way and sleep just fine without worrying, but for those of us who aren't a temperature controller is nice thing to have.

Other than that, short of the fire completely going out or cooking on a tight schedule, I can also completely understand why many people don't feel the need for a guru - the meat will be done when it is done and for the most part the results are going to be just the same.

There are also competition folks who feel that controlling the fire is part of the skill. I get that, but unless/until a particular competition bans everyone from using them, I think you are handicapping yourself if you aren't. You may know your cookers and manage your fires just fine, but you still run a risk of a fire problem and that could hurt you (I've seen it happen). Meanwhile the 10 teams down the row are dialing in the temperatures on their cookers, focusing their attention elsewhere and virtually eliminating temperature control as a potential problem. I am not saying that is right or wrong, but it seems to be the way things are these days.

Of course I realize I am not the first person to think or say these things, I am just mentioning them as a counterpoint to some of the other comments.

Also if you drink enough Cold Beer you can go to sleep without worrying about it 'er I mean...:cool:

Back