THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cssnms

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Chris
Hi new to the forum and new to the smoking scene. This forum and others were very helpful when deciding which pellet grill/smoker was best for my needs. After a lot of back and forth I purchased a Pitts and Spitts 850. I didnt want to settle only to regret my purchase later and I wanted a grill that was going to withstand the test of time.

Well on Easter sunday I had my first cook, 3 racks of spare ribs, added some asparagus to the mix towards the end. While I was generally happy with the outcome, I learned a few lessons. I chose to go with a recipe that was more of a 2-2-1 at higher heat (275). The next one will be lower and slower.

The good news is my family enjoyed the ribs.

Attachments

• 20210404_114635.jpg
    20210404_114635.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20210404_182829.jpg
    20210404_182829.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210404_182843.jpg
    20210404_182843.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 116
Nice lookin’ cooker :thumb: one of the things I found with pellet grills is that to get the results how I want, a longer cook time and lower temp is required than what I might use on a different style smoker.. I’ll always do at least an hour on “smoke” for ribs and still do the whole cook at 250* or below, larger cuts of meat will get longer on the smoke setting. Luckily since they literally run themselves, an extended cook time usually is not a problem for me and it’s simply an adjustment to when I start. Enjoy!

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking! Ribs look great!

Thanks all, looking forward to this new adventure. I'm sure I will have lots of questions or looking for advice.

Up next a prime brisket.

Nice lookin’ cooker :thumb: one of the things I found with pellet grills is that to get the results how I want, a longer cook time and lower temp is required than what I might use on a different style smoker.. I’ll always do at least an hour on “smoke” for ribs and still do the whole cook at 250* or below, larger cuts of meat will get longer on the smoke setting. Luckily since they literally run themselves, an extended cook time usually is not a problem for me and it’s simply an adjustment to when I start. Enjoy!

Thanks and appreciate the input.

Part of what influenced the direction on the higher temp, shorter cook was my start time and the timetable I was given to have dinner ready by. :) I'll plan a little better next time. I was inspired by a video I watched on YouTube of a P&S owner that did a long cook at 225, seemed to produce more smoke too.

Congratulations. I'm so close to getting my first pellet grilled delivered I can almost taste the "just right" smoky flavor!

It's such a pretty pit the photo deserves to be right side up!
gpeC18yh.jpg

Back