THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks for all the replies. I know it's against the comp ways, but for the life of me, I just couldn't get the comp procedure to work for me. I feel like I'm missing a step somewhere. I'd love to witness for myself, the prep and smoking of some real comp chicken so I could find out where I'm going wrong. In the mean time, my standard chicken prep and cook seems to work fine on these cheap thighs and come with only moderate effort on my part. Only thing I really left out this time was to apply some sauce at the very end of the cook. Sometimes I like to be able to just taste the chicken and the rub alone and add sauce if I choose. Best part is, I can get my teeth thru that skin and hit moist meat.

One tip that I haven't seen in this thread..... don't cook at such a LOW temp. I never cook chicken under 325 - i did it once..... You will get rubbery heavy smoke flavored chicken - which IMO tastes like a wet cigarette. If you cook chicken thighs under 300 -325, you will get rubbery skin. This could be the key that you are missing. Try the comp thigh recipe but with a higher temp (325 - 350), and see what happens. Mine always turn out great.

On a side note; I use a little bit of the comp thigh idea for my personal use. I don't spend the time to scrape fat off the inside of the skin - too time consuming. But I do trim a lot more of the fat off of the thigh than I use to. And I think it helps a lot with texture of the bite experience. I use the tab of butter and smoke process the same, and I've always had rave reviews from family and friends.

Funny thing is, it was tough for me to trim what I did. To me, good skin is the best part. My wife removes the skin when eating...I take hers too.
I have the same problem trimming the skin. As weird as it is to say it, I think the boneless chicken ball method is about the only way I can reliably get the skin to look right on chicken. I just don't have the finesse required to trim chicken skin I guess, because so many others say it's easy.:roll:

If you have extra skin...and want to try something different...wrap an ABT with chicken skin instead of bacon. It's quite a tasty treat from the ordinary ABT (as if there is such a thing as an ordinary ABT).

I hate trimming chicken.

If you have extra skin...and want to try something different...wrap an ABT with chicken skin instead of bacon. It's quite a tasty treat from the ordinary ABT (as if there is such a thing as an ordinary ABT).

I hate trimming chicken.

Boy, that's a GREAT idea - I've never thought of that. Gonna have to try that. One of the cool things about ABT's is that people love to TALK about them, and eat them. So that would be a conversation starter....

Back