THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kyle Serlington

Full Fledged Farker
had a BBQ today. went to a baseball game last night and only got 6.5 hours of sleep before starting my smoker this morning. i also woke up with a sore foot, so i did an 8 hour cook (plus prep time!) all while limping around. not fun!

here's the spread. leg and thigh chicken quarters, pulled pork, pork belly, hush puppies, coleslaw, and honeymustard potato salad:

11312574_10152812956871373_3268002402652097673_o.jpg

plated:
11270532_10152812956936373_7010470469353847480_o.jpg

sliced pork belly:
11221563_10152812956791373_888174021977862080_o.jpg

pulled pork:

11336823_10152812956766373_1656178265230450755_o.jpg

the review:

most of the hush puppies came out great, one batch got away from me and came out a little dark. the recipe from Brother Jimmy's BBQ cookbook is great, i used a tweaked version of that. the honeymustard potato salad was great too! i love potato salad and rarely make it, but i'm definitely going to make it more often now, and it's a recipe i came up with. the coleslaw came out good. i do an oil/vinegar/sugar based slaw and i got a couple good comments about it, one of which was from a friend who said he didn't care for it last time because he prefers mayo based sauces. this was my first time doing pork belly and i loved the flavor but i think i overcooked it. it fell apart when i sliced it and there wasn't much of a smoke ring either. pulled pork came out great as usual, i feel like it's one of the easiest things to cook. people liked the chicken but i didn't care for it. tough skin and the meat was way overdone (it was moist and mushy) but it had good flavor.

anyone else have issues with meat losing heat super fast as soon as you slice it or pull it? i had it out on the table within 5 minutes of getting it ready and it seemed like it was cold already, and it definitely wasn't cold while i was slicing the belly and pulling the shoulder.

I agree about the hushpuppies. They do look great. Gives me an idea for a new side the next time I use the Weber. My mom used to make them whenever we had fish (that we caught) when I was growing up. Maybe I can get her recipe. I'd happily take this recipe as well, if it's offered.

That mak looks delicious.
WOuld you share your recipe for the honeymustard potato salad with us? Sounds like an interesting combination.

haha i actually just kinda threw the dressing together until it tasted right. mostly mayo, about a cup, maybe a little more and then i started with about a quarter cup of yellow mustard and quarter cup of honey and then just started tinkering until it tasted right to me. i also added a bunch of black pepper, a little onion powder, tiny bit of cayenne, and some chipotle chili powder. i cut up a bunch of celery too and a little bit of green bell pepper too. i used a 5lb bag of red potatoes for this too. sorry i can't give you anything more straight forward, i gotta start writing my recipes down haha

I agree about the hushpuppies. They do look great. Gives me an idea for a new side the next time I use the Weber. My mom used to make them whenever we had fish (that we caught) when I was growing up. Maybe I can get her recipe. I'd happily take this recipe as well, if it's offered.

i'll shoot you a message with the recipe later on, i dunno if i feel right posting it publicly on here since it's from a copyrighted book

haha i actually just kinda threw the dressing together until it tasted right. mostly mayo, about a cup, maybe a little more and then i started with about a quarter cup of yellow mustard and quarter cup of honey and then just started tinkering until it tasted right to me. i also added a bunch of black pepper, a little onion powder, tiny bit of cayenne, and some chipotle chili powder. i cut up a bunch of celery too and a little bit of green bell pepper too. i used a 5lb bag of red potatoes for this too. sorry i can't give you anything more straight forward, i gotta start writing my recipes down haha

Thank you, I can work with that, I know the problem of not writing down recipes.

Back