THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

potaetoSON

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm prepping thighs tonight. I think im going to de-bone, de-skin (scrape fat off skin) and square them up. now, i might toss the meat in the brine for a couple hours. just salt/sugar/water. then rinse and pat dry. season with a light coat of season-all and a light coat of rib rub.

form thighs and re-attched skin, a bit more seasoning.

im going to cook in a pan skin up with a dollop of parkay on each thigh. im thinking about adding some bacon grease to the 'butter bath' too...

i cook at 275-300 for an hour with apple wood for 60min. temp it, then cover pan with foil for 30-45. temp. hoping to be at 155-160 at this point. dunk in a thinned out habanero/raspberry sauce and finish on grate to set. pull at 170.

any advice?

ive cooked many a chicken thigh....but this will be my 3rd time testing comp style thighs.

When I put thighs in a pan, I tuck them all together, going from side wall to side wall to help them keep shape. Then drop the butter between the rows of chicken I've made. Lastly, I flip them over about 45 min into the cook. I usually cook at same temp as you do.

Just remember, if you are practicing your process for a competition (KCBS), brining is not allowed until after the meat inspection.

Since you are cooking in an open pan I might suggest that you do not debone and just cut off the knuckle. I find that cooking with the bone adds more moisture and flavor. It also helps with the structure.

In a comp, can the chicken be trimmed, de-boned, de-skinned? or does it have to be in its original packing?

thx. i really dont think a brine is necesarry with thighs... but was just considering it tonight. i may brine 1/2 of them for 2 hours....

thx

Since you are cooking in an open pan I might suggest that you do not debone and just cut off the knuckle. I find that cooking with the bone adds more moisture and flavor. It also helps with the structure.

my last test, i did bone-in, but didnt scrape the skin. i didnt get the 'bite through' skin i was trying to achieve. they were very moist and tender and had good flavor with a hint of smoke.

do you scape the fat off the skin?

I scrape the skin for comps but not when we just cook at home. It might help though if after cooking the thighs in the butter bath you put them back on the smoker for a few min. to frim and crip up the skin before you sauce them.

I will also say (AGAIN) - I tried that mayo marinade receipe someone posted a few weeks ago and it was the best chicken I have ever had. Moist and great skin - it was bite through and I did not scrape the fat. I cooked it indrect at 275 until it probed 165. degrees.

In a comp, can the chicken be trimmed, de-boned, de-skinned? or does it have to be in its original packing?

thx. i really dont think a brine is necesarry with thighs... but was just considering it tonight. i may brine 1/2 of them for 2 hours....

thx

Chicken can be pre-trimmed, deboned, fat scraped. You cannot brine or season the meat prior to inspection. We never brine our thighs not scrape the skin. We get bite through skin every time. Keep using the search feature and you will find many techniques and "secrets".

No link - it is in my noggin:

1 Cup mayo
3 T Soy Sauce
3 T Wosterchire
4 T Hosin Sauce
2 T Seasoning (I used Yard Bird)

Mix and put chicken parts in for 2 hours. When fire is ready put chicken on - DO NOT let the marinade drain off - put straight on the grate out of your marinade bag or dish. The temp was 250 - 275 indirect.

I can't remember who posted it but it was here and I can't thank them enough.

Back