THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne
Name or Nickame
Bill
G'Day Bruces':becky:

Yesterday when looking for a place to take my family out to dinner to celebrate my daughters 14th Birthday, I came across Melbournes first "proper" BBQ Restaurant: BIG BOY BBQ

At first I was sceptical, but I read the menu and a restaurant reviews and thought... well, it's at least worth a try. If somone has opened a BBQ restaurant in Melbourne... who better than me to test it out!:thumb:

Anyway, I'm glad I did. The restaurant is located in a shopping strip that has a lot of restaurants of many kinds, in the heart of the Jewish sector of Melbourne. Still.. it looks like Pulled Pork is still OK here!

P1070791.jpg

The interior is modern Australian, uncluttered, with simple small frames showing logo's of famous US BBQ Restaurant's etc.

Meet the Owner Lance, in front of house..
DSC_0069.jpg

Lance is actually South African. He briefly told me his BBQ story.

Growing up in South Africa, everyone cooks Braai with charcoal and coal using discus' and shovels...anything basically you can throw on a fire. But Lance, like me also discovered US Low and Slow BBQ and spent some time in the US working in BBQ restaurants, taking classes (like Johnny Triggs etc...) and learning everything he could, including competition BBQ. He knew all about KCBS, and knew about the BBQ-Brethren too.

Maybe some competition guys out there might recognise him... I dunno, but anyway Lance was very happy to show me around once I told him why I was at his restaurant and that I'm a self taught backyarder.

More about Lance and the Restaurant later... now to the food!

First we sat down and tasted all the sauces:thumb::
DSC_0041.jpg

You'll note the big bottle is a KC style, and then there is a pretty good Carolina vinegar sauce (my favourite), a hot sauce (quite hot) and finally a South African Braai sauce which was very nice and tasted stongly of Worcestershire as a base.

We ordered 2 serves of Chicken wings which came out fast and were, honestly, delicious and most importantly.... SMOKEY!

DSC_0047.jpg

They were also bloody stickey! :thumb: So no photo's of eating that!..

Next up we ordered the BIG BOY PLatter $99.00 of BBQ Meat which also includes 3 large sides..
DSC_0055.jpg

The interesting thing about the BBQ PLatter is the inclusion of Lamb Ribs and also a pulled lamb shoulder, I suppose because both Aussies and South Africans love lamb.

There was more of the chicken wings, pulled pork, pulled brisket, a 1/2 rack of untrimmed ribs, lamb ribs, pastrami made on premises.

I found everything tasty and smokey. The lamb though might hit a bit of a wall in the US.. perhaps too stong in flavour for some tastes, but here, it works really well.

My main problem was that there was no sliced brisket on the platter, but this was made all clear later on....

Closeup, lamb rib:
DSC_0057.jpg

Yes.... White Bread! Just like in Texas!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
DSC_0058.jpg

My plate, with some sides:
DSC_0059.jpg

The fries, onlion rings and slaw, were all excellent. The slaw had a nice glossy vinegar dressing... nothing like the mayo clogged crap we call coleslaw here!

Lamb Rib:
DSC_0060.jpg

Pork Ribs:
DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

Second son Paul in a Meat Coma!
DSC_0064.jpg

Our booth:
DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

Lance invited me into the kitchen, where he has 3 Cookshack FEC's

These are the first Cookshack's I'd ever seen in the steel... quote a moment for me! :-D

This one cooking rib tips:
DSC_0066.jpg

And this one with brisket:
DSC_0067.jpg

You will note these briskies are very small. I'd asked Lance where he gets his briskets, because I'd like to get some too... Well, so he told me his problems sourcing good brisket.

All the decent grain fed beef gets exported to Japan and similar places because the abattoirs get a far better price for it in Asia. Local butchers do not get access to good 100-150day grain fed beef because of this and this means briskets in particular are very lean and poorly marbelled.

That means, obtaing goods size brisket is hard, and slow cooked BBQ brisket is a hard thing to manage with a low fat content. The result is a cut that dries out immediately when sliced, and THAT's why it was not served on my platter as slices... but rather as a pulled and sauced brisket.

You gotta hand it to Lance, I understood his problem immediately. He wants to stay as true as possible to BBQ, but at some stage you've got to bend to local availablity or good produce.

Finally... the rubs:
DSC_0068.jpg

Lance has a different rub with different profiles for each meat. He said that in the US, many restaurants have their single "signature" rub, which they use on everything. He notes that this causes some people to claim that all BBQ tastes the same.. So, he's ensuring that each rub is sufficiently different that people will remember the different tastes of each element in the platter, and I think this works well.

The kitchen was clean and staff were really friendly. I just wish you guys could come dowm and check this out.

To be honest, whether Lances BBQ is as good as Mom and Pop Backblock BBQ, I can't say. What I can say is that its bloody good and we were all stuffed full and very happy!

It's not as good as MY Ribs, right out of the WSM however... but hey, I'm not running a restaurant that's gotta serve up all day and have it ready... fast!

Well done Lance, and the best of luck!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Cheers!

Bill

Thanks for the write up. Very interesting. I love reading about things like this. I wish the guy all the success in the world.

G'day yerself, mate!

I just spent fully half the Brethren time I had this morning checking out your story, Bill. Wow! I'm glad you found decent Q down there! Thanks for the share, brother.

Arlin

Thanks for the story. Did he seem to be drawing in plenty of customers? Besides the lamb, any other local favorites on the menu for those who aren't in to traditional BBQ?

BTW, SmokinAussie, speaking of BBQ lamb, mutton used to be a main BBQ meat in the U.S. back in the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries. It was cooked far more often than brisket. And when Henry Perry opened his BBQ stand in KC mutton was one of his main offerings.

Back