THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jmill88

Knows what a fatty is.
My Maverick is coming in today and had a stupid question. Is it ok to just run the wires under the lid or will that crimp the wires? I thought I read somewhere that you don't want to crimp/smash the wires.

Unsure of what type of lid you are referring to but on my ceramic grill I have a felt gasket and this will not harm the leads. However what I do is wrap the leads that are inside the grill in aluminum foil to add additional shielding from direct heat. Not sure if it works or not but I have been using the same leads for over two years now with no issues. (ET-73)

I have drilled a hole in my WSM for probes. But, I don't have a hole on my performer so I just run them under the lid. No problems at all.

I have a hole in my UDS for probe wires. My ET-732 works great I think you will really enjoy it.

I have a hole drilled in my flat top drum, but run the wires under the lid on the kettle.. no problems

I used the waterproof 1/2" elect box fitting for conduit. it has the rubber piece inside with an oval hole. other than that, put it thru the top vent. you dont want a wsm lid cracked open

02.jpg

I used the waterproof 1/2" elect box fitting for conduit. it has the rubber piece inside with an oval hole. other than that, put it thru the top vent. you dont want a wsm lid cracked open

02.jpg

That is what I used on my UDS. I did take the rubber insert out and drill it round. Now I can get 3 or 4 probes through it with no problem.

Sorry I missed this yesterday.

It is best not to close a lid on the wire. If you do you take the chance of crimping the jacket and causing a short. The only lids that I feel safe closing on the wire are ceramic grill lids. This is because of the felt on the lids.

Sorry I missed this yesterday.

It is best not to close a lid on the wire. If you do you take the chance of crimping the jacket and causing a short. The only lids that I feel safe closing on the wire are ceramic grill lids. This is because of the felt on the lids.

Thanks for the response. I purchased the Maverick from you guys and received my discount and the thermometer arrived very quickly. Thanks!

Back