THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ksu1971

Knows what a fatty is.
I have a question about the Maverick ET-732. Assume I have an automatic temp systems and holds my cooker where I want it. Can I then buy another food probe and use the new probe in port that is supposed to have the cooker temp? That way I can monitor internal temps of two different items at the same time.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that you can't for some reason, but I may be wrong. You could call the company and ask.

Well since I was just setting up my 2 new maverick ET-732 while reading this post
( big shout out to 5-0 BBQ , great people and service)

I pluged in two food probs into one and it appears to have no problem with this - so go for it! There are new probes with no bend now too if you'd like that better

Yes, I can confirm as well. Bought a couple spare probes from 5-0 a while back, and have used 2 food probes with my ET 732.

I was about to buy this unit, thought about 2 of them, one for the meat temp, one for the WSM inside temp, then I thought...no, there must be a cheaper way than 2 of these. once my WSM temp is achieved, im basically all set with that, but accuracy is what I want. I'm getting 50 degree differences with 2 different dials. Im over due for a probe.

I have a question about the Maverick ET-732. Assume I have an automatic temp systems and holds my cooker where I want it. Can I then buy another food probe and use the new probe in port that is supposed to have the cooker temp? That way I can monitor internal temps of two different items at the same time.

Do you have one for the grill temp and one for the meat temp?
what are you using for grill temp?

I concur - I burnt my smoker temp probe to a crisp, and now I use my food probe between the 2 readouts. Both probes are basically the same idea, they are just shaped differently.

You can use both probes to measure pit temps, but you can only set high & low temp alarms on probe plugged into the BBQ port (#2). The food port (#1) only allows for a high temp alarm.

Yes you can. The thermistor in the smoker probe is the same as the food probe. This way the unit reads it the same way for either. This is also true for the ET-73.

We have recently come out with a Hybrid probe. It is a probe that is shaped like a food probe but with a point at the end. This probe can be used as either a smoker probe or a food probe. It is good to have on hand as a spare because of the shape it can be used for either application.

New Hybrid Probe

13368697381072101371972.gif

You can use both probes to measure pit temps, but you can only set high & low temp alarms on probe plugged into the BBQ port (#2). The food port (#1) only allows for a high temp alarm.

oh damn, silly me. the ET-732 comes with 2 probes! one for meat, one for grill/oven temp!

What about the wires being crimped by the lid? I have read many people having issues with that?

Never. In over two years. But...I'm careful.

I must say, there is an overwhelming amount of people dissatisfied with the Mavericks. You can say what you want, but when so many have the exact same issues, I wonder if I should just get a good quality dial. Hell, that's what was used before all this electronic crap came out. How did we all get by all these many years! HAHAHA.

I didnt mean to hijack this thread, my apologies. I'm going to search to see if a good quality/working probe thermometer really exists out there, or a good dial I can trust. WAAAAAAAY too many complaints on this unit/company.... ok again, sorry

I think most of the complaints are from people that abuse their equipment. IE: let the probes get wet by trying to wash them in water, or pinch the probe wires in the lids of their smokers. Some expose them to excessive heat or direct flames.

Don't think you can blame the device if not used correctly. It is a delicate electronic device. As with all electronic devices, there will be failures. Think of the hundreds or thousands that are sold and used with no problems. You don't hear about them, because folks only complain about the failures. I think they are a great tool if used within their design capabilities. Mine is one of the greatest "gadgets" if you want to call it that, that I have had the pleasure to use. YMMV

I didnt mean to hijack this thread, my apologies. I'm going to search to see if a good quality/working probe thermometer really exists out there, or a good dial I can trust. WAAAAAAAY too many complaints on this unit/company.... ok again, sorry

Whose complaining. I love both my 73 and my new 732. I had some problems at first with my 732 but it was my fault. They are sensitive to crimping under the lid of a UDS. I made the mods to my drum to correct the problem. I have read the poor reviews on Amazon and most of those complaints I believe were due to misuse or abuse.

I will continue to trust Maverick Ind. products and would recommend them to everyone.

P.S. I have used both probes for monitoring meat temps. It's great when you are doing several roasts. I can monitor up to five roasts with my 73, 732, and DigiQ.

Whose complaining. I love both my 73 and my new 732. I had some problems at first with my 732 but it was my fault. They are sensitive to crimping under the lid of a UDS. I made the mods to my drum to correct the problem. I have read the poor reviews on Amazon and most of those complaints I believe were due to misuse or abuse.

I will continue to trust Maverick Ind. products and would recommend them to everyone.

P.S. I have used both probes for monitoring meat temps. It's great when you are doing several roasts. I can monitor up to five roasts with my 73, 732, and DigiQ.

Yeah, Amazon is loaded with the same complaints; right out of the box stuff, to shorting them out after only2-3 uses due to getting the cables wet. "Company says you cant get them wet but its damn near impossible" to crazy over reads.... etc etc.
The thing is, they are almost all the same, verbatim. I can usually toss out the ignoramuses but...there are a lot!.

ill have to think about this one, you and others say they work well, but if i buy this, and I find im buying new probes every 2/3 uses, im gonna be one pissed off dude.

Back