THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

by the way, what exactly is the difference? where did they upgrade?

Greater temperature range and greater transmitter range. My 73 was a close range line of sight. I can walk out in front of my house with the 732 without losing the signal.

I own 2 Maverick therms. One is a single probe remote that I have had for abt 3 years. It has worked flawlessly except for the time I let the smoker lid fall on the cable & cut it. Entirely my fault. The ET 732 I have only had for abt 6 months & it has also been flawless.
I also read all the negative comments on Amazon before I bought the 732. I also read lots of positive comments on it here & a couple other BBQ forums. I put a lot more weight on the comments made here by ppl that know what they are doing.

I hope my issue wasn't taken as a complaint - good lord - it was complete and utter operator error. My buddy lifted the lid off of my UDS and left it off. The next time I looked at my LCD it read "HHHHH", I was like "oh fark!" I ran outside and found the lid off and probe completely fried black. It sucked, but human error. In fact I placed my smoker temp probe under a 20 lb turkey once, pulled too hard and yanked it right out of the sleeve! Oops! Again human error. There ain't a thing on this planet that is indestructible, I'll prove it.

More importantly is that Maverick customer is second to none, after the turkey incident I called customer service, and they replaced the probe free of charge. There's always going to be folks on amazon with bad reviews, I take any bad review with a grain of salt. If the supplier is willing to work with you, that is a 5 star rating to me. I know that if anybody buys a Maverick ET-732 they will be pleasantly surprised. It's the best transmitter on the market, and it's not even the most expensive.

Yeah, Amazon is loaded with the same complaints; right out of the box stuff, to shorting them out after only2-3 uses due to getting the cables wet. "Company says you cant get them wet but its damn near impossible" to crazy over reads.... etc etc.
The thing is, they are almost all the same, verbatim. I can usually toss out the ignoramuses but...there are a lot!.

ill have to think about this one, you and others say they work well, but if i buy this, and I find im buying new probes every 2/3 uses, im gonna be one pissed off dude.

If you look hard enough, you'll find bad reviews on every product out there. I've had my ET732 for over a year now I believe. I haven't had to replace the original probes yet. I've even dropped the unit on my deck a time or two. I just checked the accuracy on them last weekend and they were right on, as well as my thermopen. I am very careful not to get the wires wet, it's really not that hard if you use common sense, which I'm not sure all of the reviewers on amazon have done. Also, I use it on my egg, which has a gasket, so the chances of damaging the wire are far less than pinching it under the lip of a kettle.

If you're seriously considering buying one, may I suggest putting up a poll.

"Are you satisfied with your Maverick ET732"

Yes or No

I trust the brothers and sisters here more than I do a bunch of people on Amazon.

If you will get some shrink tubing from Radio Shack or similar store, and then put some on the probes up to and on the probe itself about 1/2 inch, you will get better service out of them from moisture getting into the probe. Which happens where the braid enters the probe

I have about 8 inches on both of my probes, which protects from moisture and gives extra strength on the probe wires themselves. Have not had any problems with them since I got it. I clean my probes with alcohol soaked wipes after using. and they are still like new.

Guys I will make sure that my competition teammate Darren Keller who is the Operations Manager for Maverick hears how happy you all are. :-D He spent a good deal of time working on the ET-732 by taking the feedback from the ET-73 and fixing those issues.

I am happy to say that warranty issues have been very minor with this product and when there is one it is taken care of.

Remember that if you have any Maverick issues or questions let me know and I can see what I can do. No matter what dealer you purchased it through I am still happy to help.

I've had great luck with my 73. Accidentally left it out in the pouring rain after a cook and when I turned it back on I got the HHHH reading. Brought it back inside, let it dry out on the counter overnight and problem went away. I've also destroyed a couple of probes but they were definitely user error/abuse on my part. And if you do have to replace a probe they're relatively inexpensive.

Remember that if you have any Maverick issues or questions let me know and I can see what I can do. No matter what dealer you purchased it through I am still happy to help.

I have one!

I just got my ET-732 in the mail (from you folks) a minute ago and WOW! I got a free Poster with it!

Actually, I think you may call them... directions? Whats with that!? its a thermometer! I didnt expect to sit down for an evening to read how to use it! ;-)

I know it is really tough for us guys to READ THE DIRECTIONS but if we just do it, a lot of our problems would be minimal I think. (now where are those directions for this brisket?) :confused:

Here's how I deal with the probe wires/lid of the UDS. I bought 00 gauge silicon rubber stoppers for the 3/8" pipe nipples. And there's probably a safer method for drilling the holes than holding the stopper in your hand while you slowly drill them out.

43b0c7c1-e849-389d.jpg

43b0c7c1-e85f-481b.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341319151.339350.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341319151.339350.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 82
I have one!

I just got my ET-732 in the mail (from you folks) a minute ago and WOW! I got a free Poster with it!

Actually, I think you may call them... directions? Whats with that!? its a thermometer! I didnt expect to sit down for an evening to read how to use it! ;-)

DIRECTIONS - are just another man's opinion.....

DIRECTIONS - are just another man's opinion.....

Damn, I brought my directions to my office and forgot them there! Now I need to learn how to use this 732 and im without it until Friday! are there instructions on line? Anyone know? i need to know this before this weekend!

Here's how I deal with the probe wires/lid of the UDS. I bought 00 gauge silicon rubber stoppers for the 3/8" pipe nipples. And there's probably a safer method for drilling the holes than holding the stopper in your hand while you slowly drill them out.

Great! how did you get the wire through the rubber stoppers?

I just used a drill bit the same diameter as the probe and drilled the hole slowly, while holding the stopper in my hand. Not the smartest thing I've ever done, but it worked. Push the probes through and you're in business. After several smokes, the stoppers are getting a little brown, but still as flexible as when I bought them.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tcz5wm

Back