Manifesto-the best bbq book ever? I think so

Royalslover

Full Fledged Farker
When people praise my bbq I always say "well, no one has spent more time sitting on the pot reading about bbq than me". I got my copy of Manifesto in the mail on Thursday and finished it tonight. Holy cow, what a great book. I've often wondered why Franklin BBQ is so popular and I've decided it is the force of Aaron's personality. I'm sure that his food is as good as any out there but that doesn't explain his success. I read MM's book and it just made me not like the guy. About the book: I've been waiting for a book that doesn't offer tons of recipes but rather talks philosophically about bbq. I love the history he gave of his trailer and restaurant and the behind the scenes look at the restaurant. I was surprised at how honest he was about products and people. This is easily the best food related book I have ever read!

I enjoyed his book as well. Aaron seems like a really great guy and he has put out a ton of very useful information to the public in a very short period of time. What i like is it isnt the typical load of crap that most folks spew and then try to sell you their supposed secret or rub. I agree, the book is not a recipe book per say, however it is a wealth of very sound and useful info relating to all things Q. I wish Aaron the very best and continud success. He has both earned it and deserves it.

You know, I had thought about the question "What makes Aaron Franklin's brisket better than yours (or mine)?". From a scientific standpoint, I or anyone else should be able to apply the same simple ingredients he does, use the same methods he does, cook it to the same level of "done" as he does, and turn out a brisket identical to his. If there is nothing secretive about his briskets, why are they so much better?

It must have a lot to do with what you mention in the OP.

The videos I've seen of the guy make him seem very likable and I'm sure he makes an impressive brisket. I'll have to check the book out.

I agree. Franklin's book was an excellent read. I felt like I was on the journey with him. I also agree that I wasn't so impressed with Mixon's book. Maybe it's just my personal preference as I'm sure others have enjoyed it. I will also add that for recipes and spice/herb usage and recommendations, I enjoyed Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book. It was also very comprehensive about wood selection and also sort of developing your own style, which is appreciated.

My daughter lives in Austin and raves on his brisket. She told me she is getting me his book for Christmas; can't wait!

I just finished reading it and loved it. I actually went and watched the whole PBS series after reading the book. Aaron just seems like a cool dude I want to have a beer with.

I think one thing is that he doesn't pretend to know it it all. He basically says this is how I do it but you can do it differently and still have success. MM seems to have this attitude that says I am really smart and if you don't do it like me you probably won't put out good chow. They are just different guys with different personality's`. I was really surprised at how transparent Aaron is about everything he does. I figured he would hold some stuff back-and maybe he did- but it didn't feel like it. I mean he gives us enough info to copy his smokers down to the hinges on the doors. Who does that?

I think one thing is that he doesn't pretend to know it it all. He basically says this is how I do it but you can do it differently and still have success. MM seems to have this attitude that says I am really smart and if you don't do it like me you probably won't put out good chow. They are just different guys with different personality's`. I was really surprised at how transparent Aaron is about everything he does. I figured he would hold some stuff back-and maybe he did- but it didn't feel like it. I mean he gives us enough info to copy his smokers down to the hinges on the doors. Who does that?

real, regular guys/gals give out their secrets. you can witness that here multiple times per day. i don't think he holds back much at all.

I wonder wonder who "Long Island Phil" is that he mentions in his book?:heh::heh::heh:

It is a great read. Not so much because of the recipes and whatnot, but it's a BBQ story. I really enjoyed reading about how he went from point A to point B in his BBQ life....and I enjoyed reading about how his day goes from morning to night during a business day.

Based on conversations here, Aaron holds his finished briskets several hours before serving his customers. Not many backyard cooks do that.

Really enjoyed the book and how it is structured. The personal stories regarding struggles and success made it a very rewarding read. I now use it as a reference for any technical questions I may have.

I really enjoyed his book. I read it twice. Also love his pbs show I've watched every episode at least 3 or 4 times. Aaron seems like a real down to earth guy.

I will say this. Franklin's book is most definitely one of my favorites. However, I have about 150 BBQ books, and I am not ready yet to declare his my "favorite of all times". But, I would recommend it to anyone.

I've read and love the book. I've watched most or maybe all of the pbs and YouTube vids. I agree - great book!

I also read his book a short while ago.What I gathered from the book is that he is highly intelligent,self motivating,resourceful,perfectionist.He is awesome .It is my opinion that we can learn a lot from his book and use it in our own style of smoking.

Having hung out in Austin a little to much Back in the day- I could actually picture in my mind his living conditions. I enjoyed and still thumb through the book. What stuck in my mind is how Bludawg's brisket protocol is so damn close to AF's. We had the information all along. There's no place like home, there's no place like home. Click your damn heals Dorothy!!!!

Agreed- good book

It's a great book and I really enjoyed reading it through. He's such an open guy, nothing held back and so much information.

The dude is just cool and deserves his success.

One thing is if you try follow his guide at cooking at 375 constantly it's impossible to maintain that temp in your backyard plus only having one smoker makes
It hard to cook different type of meat. But I am sure if I went at it and cooked brisket to his recipe it would turn out great.

His "pepper" based rub on turkey is amazing by the why.

Back