THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you like the shelf? I like the looks. Can you still reach the grilling area with no problems? Just wondered functionality wise?

Thanks
@Crispy Bacon no problem reaching the back of the grill. I think the functionality is great! I no longer need to reach over to pellet/warming covers to grab the food to place on the grill, reducing spills of juices on my deck, etc. and makes it more convenient for my style of grilling. I do wish they would make it 10" wide as opposed to 8". I think an additional 2" would make a difference (doesn't everyone say that? LOL). It's not a deal breaker for me however. I love it.

@Crispy Bacon no problem reaching the back of the grill. I think the functionality is great! I no longer need to reach over to pellet/warming covers to grab the food to place on the grill, reducing spills of juices on my deck, etc. and makes it more convenient for my style of grilling. I do wish they would make it 10" wide as opposed to 8". I think an additional 2" would make a difference (doesn't everyone say that? LOL). It's not a deal breaker for me however. I love it.

Thanks. I like how it looks. Can’t decide if I want that or a griddle. I did use the warming drawer yesterday when grilling. It was actually nice. I wish you could adjust airflow into there with the vents. Or have a way to keep the warming lid from getting too hot on the outside. The drawer was convenient though.

Birds look great. How’d they turn out? Skin looks good too! Any adjustments for the next time?

I ran out of yardbird rub so the meat wasn't as seasoned as I would've liked. The skin came out crispy and the flesh moist (birds sat uncovered in the fridge with the rub/salt under the skin for 24+ hours). I'd probably cook at a higher temp next time (I wanted to cook at 340 but setting the Mak to 340 gave me 330. I went with 345 which stayed at 340 - thermo was moved to the upper shelf). I'd be curious what 375 or 450 gave me on the upper shelf. I might also try the lower grates to see if there's any discernable difference.

Thanks. I like how it looks. Can’t decide if I want that or a griddle. I did use the warming drawer yesterday when grilling. It was actually nice. I wish you could adjust airflow into there with the vents. Or have a way to keep the warming lid from getting too hot on the outside. The drawer was convenient though.
I considered the griddle but decided I would get much more use out of the shelf. I can always throw a CI Lodge or similar on the grates if needed, but I don't typically use one so that sealed the deal with me.

The cover on the warming drawer does get super hot if you're grilling at higher temps. I typically don't put food in the warming drawer to hold because I find I overcook my food. I do leave a pan on top and cover the food, works much better for me.

MAK definitely has some nice accessories. If you want to expand the 1 Star, and use it for grilling, you will not regret the Flame Zone. I never in a million years thought I’d be using a pellet grill as my primary grill, but here I am doing just that. I try to be careful with my recommendations as I don’t want to mislead anyone. It is NOT a raging hot charcoal grill, but is a fantastic everyday grill. If you wanna go all out, the MAK sear grates take it up even another notch.

Here’s a simple example of MAK grilled food w/ MAK sear grates...

925de949597503894564a70efd868af2.jpg

And a pic from last night without the sear grates...

a91f418f2f6bbd53acde78a82322f2ec.jpg

Both are YUMMY!

Food looks great! Hope I can achieve that. I am leaning towards the flame zone, and wouldn't mind the sear grates either. However $$$ comes into play. The credit will cushion that only so much. Darn this addiction.

I was cooking vegetables in my cast iron pan until about 3/4 done, then I put them in the drawer & seared off a few steaks for fajitas. Worked pretty well. I wondered if they double walled that warmer drawer, if it would keep the outside temp down a little?

Why would I want a 1/2 or 3/4 rack vs the full rack? Is it too deep and too close to the front of the lid?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Why would I want a 1/2 or 3/4 rack vs the full rack? Is it too deep and too close to the front of the lid?

Because I cook for a large family, I’d go with the full upper if it were me. That said, if that’s not the case, the 3/4 is gonna be a bit easier to work with, especially when reaching under it. The 1/2 upper is not an attractive option to me... but that’s just me.

If both levels are loaded up it could be nigh impossible to reach food at the back of the bottom rack if you have the full upper. It covers the same surface/space as the lower rack.

Added Searing grate with $75 coupon. Grill is supposed to arrive tomorrow! Traveling Thursday and Friday however, so I may not get to fire it up until the weekend. After examining my freezer I foresee Turkey, Conecuh Pork Shots, Fatties, Chuckie, Chicken, Salmon and Scallops on the coming menus. I'm probably most excited to cook a Brisket though I don't have "inventory" now and am somewhat avoiding a trip to Costco...

Layers, 2 1/2’s on the bottom, a full just above that then a 3/4 above that.

If both levels are loaded up it could be nigh impossible to reach food at the back of the bottom rack if you have the full upper. It covers the same surface/space as the lower rack.

Because I cook for a large family, I’d go with the full upper if it were me. That said, if that’s not the case, the 3/4 is gonna be a bit easier to work with, especially when reaching under it. The 1/2 upper is not an attractive option to me... but that’s just me.

Yes, using a full upper does present a bit more of a challenge in getting to the very back of the main grate... BUT is definitely doable. I have done it many times. Here’s a buddies older 1 Star, back before the cooking grates were the same size as the 2 Stars... and in this pic he has both the main and full upper loaded down with 8 butts. This will give you a visual of what’s possible. And it would be even easier on your 1 Star PJTexas, as your model is larger.
c1e92e6af541fc7c6efde3dc984408bd.jpg

What Size Loaf Pan

Does anyone know what size mini loaf pan best fits the grease drawer? I originally tried 6x3, but it was too short (lengthwise). Not sure if the 8.5x4.5 would fit?

Back