THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kw

Knows what a fatty is.
The local Harris Teeter had pork butts on sale for $.97/lb. Picked up 4 of them, saved one for pulled pork.
The remaining 3, plus one loin went into this batch of kielbasa. Came out pretty good.
2oP6vKa

Attachments

Looks awesome!! I check my Teeter often for those deals, they do come up on occasion and they have good meat.

I like rings of sausage too, and yours certainly has the 'look', meaning the after smoking procedure was spot on. What does adding pork loin bring to the party?

Last batch I made was a little fattier than I like. The loin makes it a little leaner. I trimmed the butts a little closer this time, too.

Next time I won’t trim the butts quite as close as this batch.

Shout out to the folks who manufacture the Meat your Maker grinders. I picked up their #22 on a sale back in February. It does a fantastic job!

Got time to post your recipe?
Ed

Started with 3 butts, 1 loin. About 37 lbs total. Trimmed the butts and loin, ended up with about 30 lb (14 kg).
The trimmed meat was broken down into 3 separate classes. Link to meat classes:
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-making/meat-selection/classes

After trimming, it came out to:
Class 1: 56%
Class 2: 23%
Class 3: 21%
Meat was cut into cubes about 1 inch. Salt and cure added to each class, and refrigerated for 48 hrs to cure.
2g cure #1 per kg of meat
16g salt per kg of meat
Ground class 3 twice thru a 1/8” die. Class 2 ground once thru 1/8” die
Class 1 ground thru 3/8” die.
3 g black pepper per kg
6 g garlic per kg
1/2 cup ice water per kg
Mixed garlic and water in a food processor to more evenly distribute.
2 plus a little tsp allspice ( my kitchen scale doesn’t register that qty allspice)
Meat was mixed and stuffed into 32-35mm hog casings. Half was poached, the other half hung till casings were dry, and smoked for about 4 hours with apple wood, until internal temp hit 154F.
The photo was taken about 20 minutes after they came off the smoker.

My wife grew up on a farm in central Connecticut, and they used to get their kielbasa from Rosol’s in New Britain. This sausage I made is a close approximation to theirs.

My wife grew up on a farm in central Connecticut, and they used to get their kielbasa from Rosol’s in New Britain. This sausage I made is a close approximation to theirs.

Martin Rosol's is still there after 95 years. New Britain has a large Polish community and Polish sausage is a staple. You can order online if you wish...

Back