breakfast sausage

locolobo

is one Smokin' Farker
We've got bulk meats bought on sale and they're pilin up in the freezer (Wife likes to buy stuff on sale). Thought about thinnin the herd by makin some breakfast sausage. Question, Do You All just used pork (I've looked on YT and that's about all I've seen) or mix with beef( we've got plenty of that too)? I've got a 6lb ham & a 6 lb butt roast..

I've got a local butcher who sell his own seasoning mixes and so far his recipes have been pretty good ( lots'a links made but no B'fast saus.). So Question is ,ham versus mixture?

I am partial to Country Sausage. Its similar to breakfast sausage in flavor. It is made from 100% pork. I use Picnic since its cheaper and has the right amount of fat/muscle ratio. I save the skin for pork rinds.
As far as seasonings, The sausage maker has some pretty good breakfast sausage seaonings. I am not sure if they sell a country sausage seasoning, but i can post the ingredients if interested.

Last edited:
I don’t think that ham’s have enough fat to make a good sausage. I’d stick with pork butts, they seem to have the right lean to fat ratio for the pork sausage I’ve made so far ( Italian, Weisswurst, and brats). I would skip the beef in a breakfast sausage.

For breakfast or 'farm' sausage, I use all pork, and we package in bulk or form patties. Recipes are pretty simple and the basics are salt, pepper, garlic and parsley. Next would be a variety of herbs and other signature ingredients (like sage, tyme etc.) that make a recipe unique. On my sausage page I have recipes for Lukainka, (a Basque farm sausage), Farm Sausage, and Country Singer Sausage.

On my sausage page, I have a few tips on designing or tweaking a recipe, and a few of my favorite recipes. Note that any of these can be made in bulk and sausage burgers are a nice change from hamburgers.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/02/sausage-recipes.html

Back