Sausage Making - First Time

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
As an early Christmas present I finally went ahead and got all my gear for sausage making - went with the Walton #12 .75 Grinder and the Walton 7 lb stuffer

Started Thursday night trimming the meat - 5 lbs of pork/brisket for the jalapeño cheddar and 5 lbs of left over smoked brisket and clod in the freezer

Friday I ground all the meat, added spices, mixed and stuffed the casings - need some work on my linking skills! Also, probably should have just done one type of sausage my first time - lots of moving parts and lots of dishes

Let the sausage rest in fridge for 12 plus hours for the cure to set in - then up early yesterday to “cold smoke” the sausages for 5 hours

Gave them a quick ice bath and let them rest for a couple hours before vacuum sealing them for later

Was pleased with the end products and other than the cleaning a very fun process

They look great to me.
BTW, if you have a Brookshire Bro’s grocery store nearby they sell their house seasoning blend that’ll do up to a 50# batch. Even though I highly recommended it I get the most enjoyment playing with different recipes.

Nice job. I have the Walton’s #22 grinder and it does quick work on the grinds. Their spices are really good too. I am about 50/50 on using my own recipes and using there mixes. Enjoy, it is fun.

Looks great Ted! I did a small 7LB of sausage today as well, but something different than my usual smoked sausage, my first attempt at some Italian sausage to go with a big pasta dinner which is tradition at my house for Christmas Eve.

Glad to see your first attempt went well. Just be ready to get addicted to making it now and honing your recipes and process!

Let the sausage rest in fridge for 12 plus hours for the cure to set in - then up early yesterday to “cold smoke” the sausages for 5 hours

Did you use a smoke generator type unit or run a small fire?

Just a question.
If you cold smoked it then was the ice bath really necessary?
Still learning and hoping my next attempt looks as good as yours.

Just a question.
If you cold smoked it then was the ice bath really necessary?
Still learning and hoping my next attempt looks as good as yours.

I am just a newbie - but you still want to bring the sausage up to 150 or so - the ice bath stops the cooking and allows for the snappy casing - at least that is what I have read 😀

Back