THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JeffinNE

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Jeff
Trying to decide between these two. Both really more than I'd like to spend but because of the A+ build quality would rather stick to this brand. Would likely get the competition cart with either for ease of moving around.

Pee Wee capacity will be enough for 99% of cooks unless I really get into hosting bigger get togethers.

I see many users of these models do not use water so wondering if the fill and drain port on the mini is excess expense not needed. Looking for input as to the pluses or minuses of the built in water pan on the mini versus the removable water pan on the pee wee. Many mention putting a foil pan underneath to catch drippings and make clean up easier--would the extra racks on the mini be beneficial for this?

Anyone use the heat deflector plate? When would you use?

With only 1 door on the pee wee do temps spike because of the extra air flow when door is open?

Any other input on the differences is welcome!

Greetings, Jeff.

I have had my Mini for a year now, and I have no experience with the Pee Wee. I stayed away from the Pee Wee, however, because of the single door (and the size), but...what do I know? If it works for you, LSG does not make a bad product, and I guarantee it will cook well. I cannot speak knowledgeably about temp spikes or anything.

If you can afford it, go with the Mini. I love mine. No one ever wished they'd bought a smaller smoker. So, if you DO decide to expand your cooking, you will have the ability to do so. I have used my Mini for short cooks (as short as 2 hours), and it is very easy and economical to do so. I just load up a row of coals on one side of the basket and light it, and I generally have enough fuel to get to temp and cook for up to 6 hours. I have also filled it up and cooked for crowds for 16 hours, and it works great as well.

I think that the fill-and-drain port on the Mini is standard equipment (I could be wrong), but I have never used water in the bottom of mine. Nice to have the option, though. I put a wine cork in the fill hole on the day I got it, and I have not removed it since. The interior stays moist enough for my purposes. Maybe I will play with liquid in the pan one day just to see if the results are any different, or just for fun.

Also, on the times that I have NOT used pans to catch the drippings on the bottom, clean-up is very easy to wipe up after everything cools down.

I DID get the heat deflector plate because it was cheap, and a replaceable item that will (supposedly) save wear-and-tear on your water pan. Other than spraying it down on all sides the day I installed it, I have never removed it.

I do not move my smoker at all, but I still got the 8" wheels for two reasons: it made the unit a touch higher (another reason I did not go with the Pee Wee), and the 8" wheels are MUCH easier for moving the unit. I did not need the cart because mine butts up to an outdoor kitchen counter, and I already have counter and shelf space.

If you are planning on moving that thing often, I would recommend the competition cart. The 8" wheels will be fine if you're just moving from concrete-to-concrete (from the garage-to-driveway or wall-to-patio-center), and the cart makes it easier to navigate. Or you could just get the unit by itself and buy a separate stainless prep table, but beware, moving the unit by itself (without the cart) over bumps or thresholds can be tough. It's heavy, and it gets tippy.

BUT...IF you are planning on anything other than incidental movement, like moving the unit across grass, or on a trailer, or over to your neighbors, or anything else, get the off-road package.

Also, this place is an excellent resource, obviously, but...if you're on FB, there is an LSG fan club page of very helpful, friendly farkers on there as well.

Hope that helps!

Mini on Comp cart if you can swing it. You need to get in and out of the smoker quickly to avoid temp running up during cooks, and I can't imagine only having one door. The Pewee is also short, somebody on the LSG Fan FB page mounted legs to raise the height.

Do you currently have another large cooker? The reason I ask is because I buy smaller cookers now because I have 2 large cookers. If you don't and worry about running out of space then get the mini. I always laugh at the "mini" name. There's a ton of space!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the great info, Doc!

Don't want to leave this unit outside year around in Nebraska so I'll store in my Morton building and do some cooks out there and sometimes want to move about 60 yards across grass to my back patio. Maybe the off road package is needed? Or wondering if I could hook up tow straps around the unit and cart and tow with riding mower or small tractor?

Great point on the height by Bacchus2b and others. Many don't seem to like the single door.

This will be my only cooker so probably better with the Mini.

Any pee wee owners with input?

If you ever plan to move it on grass get the off road package for sure.

I love my mini. it can be used for a single rack of ribs without feeling like a waste and can really hold a lot if needed.

The single door on the peewee seems like an issue, though I am sure Chris and crew have it all figured out and it works great.

If you ever plan to move it on grass get the off road package for sure.

I love my mini. it can be used for a single rack of ribs without feeling like a waste and can really hold a lot if needed.

The single door on the peewee seems like an issue, though I am sure Chris and crew have it all figured out and it works great.

Probably don't need to open the door too many times during longer cooks so likely not an issue.

Thanks for all the great info, Doc!

Don't want to leave this unit outside year around in Nebraska so I'll store in my Morton building and do some cooks out there and sometimes want to move about 60 yards across grass to my back patio. Maybe the off road package is needed? Or wondering if I could hook up tow straps around the unit and cart and tow with riding mower or small tractor?

Great point on the height by Bacchus2b and others. Many don't seem to like the single door.

This will be my only cooker so probably better with the Mini.

Any pee wee owners with input?

Even if you're towing it, go with the offroad package...especially hauling across grass.

I'd go for the larger one, I personally don't like cooking on small cookers- too close to the heat source and you end up with crispy meat from my experience.

I'd go for the larger one, I personally don't like cooking on small cookers- too close to the heat source and you end up with crispy meat from my experience.

I have the PeeWee and never had an issue with it being too close. Probably due to the deflector and water pan.

That said, I’d strongly recommend the mini. Same footprint, but a lot better capacity.

I have the PeeWee and never had an issue with it being too close. Probably due to the deflector and water pan.

That said, I’d strongly recommend the mini. Same footprint, but a lot better capacity.

Hey Chris...do you use water with your cooks?

Back