Long "active" brisket hold methods/temps

Oven Brisket Hold.

Knew the brethren wouldn't let me down. Been researching this method a lot. Haven't done enough briskets yet to get any good ones. Have a question though. I have an oven that I can adjust by +/- 30 degrees F. I ran a test yesterday. Set to 170F with no offset the high was 205 and the low was 158. So I adjusted offset to -20F. Same test yielded range of 184F to 140F. From these results I can assume a -10F would yield approximately 194F to 150F. So is 140 too low if it only reaches that temp for a few minutes? Wouldn't the meat hold temp well above 140F for a very long time? Also is 194F high enough to continue to cook the Brisket? Noticed the temp falls from the higher temp slower and increases from the lower temp much faster. Trying to guess which is the better temp range. Leaning towards the 184F-140F vs. the 194F-150F range. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Knew the brethren wouldn't let me down. Been researching this method a lot. Haven't done enough briskets yet to get any good ones. Have a question though. I have an oven that I can adjust by +/- 30 degrees F. I ran a test yesterday. Set to 170F with no offset the high was 205 and the low was 158. So I adjusted offset to -20F. Same test yielded range of 184F to 140F. From these results I can assume a -10F would yield approximately 194F to 150F. So is 140 too low if it only reaches that temp for a few minutes? Wouldn't the meat hold temp well above 140F for a very long time? Also is 194F high enough to continue to cook the Brisket? Noticed the temp falls from the higher temp slower and increases from the lower temp much faster. Trying to guess which is the better temp range. Leaning towards the 184F-140F vs. the 194F-150F range. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

for holding if the brisket is already tender then the lower would be better. you could use the higher setting if it still needs a little push. at super low temps I've had briskets temp out in the low 190s so yes some cooking (more like tenderization) will still happen

Most restaurants doing long active holds are doing as a way to produce as much meat as possible in limited smoker space (gotta free up space for small meats), not necessarily because it produces better meat.

Along with allowing for sleep and pit space producing a better product is a major reason why they do it. Alto Sham's is the biggest "secret" to Texas BBQ.

Back