THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a great step forward. I'm sorry the PNWBA area didn't get representation but it's sometimes difficult to please all. I guess some New England teams are also PO'd.

But I think they did a fantastic job of spreading this around so people from most parts of the country could compete and have a regional that wasn't too far from the locals. I for one think it's fantastic that they didn't focus on the KC area. This is national event and they did it right. Prize money sounds good. I think that most of us who try for this will be able to keep 10/14 open until we see how we do in the Regionals. For me it's a little easier as I hope to compete in June in the Indy bracket. That bracket does have comps that conflict with local MI contests but I can juggle things there.

My bet is all 600 spots fill up by the 2/11. Hope not because I'd love to get a couple of shots at it.

You have to give Sam's Kudo's for trying, BUT...
I think I'll pass this year. The KC contest is bound to fill fast and be huge.
They should have set up a full regional around KC with the number of teams around here. Heck we have North KC, Lenexa, Great American, Shawnee & let's see who am I missing, oh THE ROYAL => All these contests are over 100 teams. Can any other region claim the same? Not to mention the number of CBJ's in this area.
WOW!!! Good luck to all those competing.

It won't be huge because they are limiting the local events to 30 teams.

Certified judges

Regarding judging - this is straight from the KCBS site:

"Sam’s Club BBQ Series judging information

February 2, 2011

All 26 events in the Sam’s Club BBQ Series will utilize KCBS Certified Barbeque Judges.
Interested judges will be able to register online once team registration has been completed; information on how to register will also be posted after team registration is complete. Only certified judges with active membership are allowed to register; certification and membership will be verified.

Event Directors will send confirmation via e-mail to judges.

Stay tuned for more information."

I think this is a great step forward. I'm sorry the PNWBA area didn't get representation but it's sometimes difficult to please all. I guess some New England teams are also PO'd.

But I think they did a fantastic job of spreading this around so people from most parts of the country could compete and have a regional that wasn't too far from the locals. I for one think it's fantastic that they didn't focus on the KC area. This is national event and they did it right. Prize money sounds good. I think that most of us who try for this will be able to keep 10/14 open until we see how we do in the Regionals. For me it's a little easier as I hope to compete in June in the Indy bracket. That bracket does have comps that conflict with local MI contests but I can juggle things there.

My bet is all 600 spots fill up by the 2/11. Hope not because I'd love to get a couple of shots at it.
I do think it is a great idea, but when you look at where the majority of the teams will be coming from in the Ft. Worth Region and the level of support for the KCBS, wouldn't it have made more sense to have more contests in Kansas, Missouri, or Oklahoma and have the regionals in Oklahoma rather than targetting in on Texas? Not sour grapes, I just think they could have done a little more research before laying out the schedule. Since the PNWBA area didn't get representation, it looks like Sam's was looking at other criteria than where the competitiors hail from - just thinking on the keyboard...

I hate to be a wet rag. But the PNWBA is a governing body on their own aren't they? I beielve there are a couple of KCBS contests up in those parts, right? Why would they focus in that area? KC/Missouri region was way too low for numbers of cooks in the area. Especially when compared to Texas that doesn't even support more than 1 KCBS contest? Nothing in the NE and that isn't right either.

For rent.... for right price, money back guarantee. Limited opportunities. Willing to travel

It could be that the saturation of Sam's Clubs may have been a deciding factor. I only know of one small store in the Seattle area, home of Costco.

Hell, in the Dallas area I know of and have been in at least 10 stores and I don't know the saturation in Ft. Worth, which is a whole nother world (like where the West begins and if that is true, then Dallas is where the East peters out).

I'm surprised about the Ft. Worth site because a new Flagship (one of only three in the world) Sam's/Wally World is being built in Dallas but it may not be open in time.

Finney - Ford was pointing out that if the 600 spots don't fill, they'll reopen the slots

"If all 600 positions are not reserved and confirmed during this registration period, a second registration period will be announced and opened following the same rules and procedures." "For any registration period after the first, the same rules apply as with the first open period, a team can only register one time, and only for one contest during the registration period. "

We are excited about this series.. We will be trying to get in the Orlando qualifier and may even have a "2nd generation" team in the Pittsburgh one. Only time will tell.

Hey Scottie think that the 1 team 1 event rule is about team names or head cooks. Could Cancer Suck in Atlanta, Vegas, Fort Worth, and NYC?

i didn't see anything about bringing in others. Or a team changing their name and cooking it as another team... So I could be CSC and CSC2 and CSC3, etc. at 3 different contests. Honestly, I think that loop hole will be tightened.

i didn't see anything about bringing in others. Or a team changing their name and cooking it as another team... So I could be CSC and CSC2 and CSC3, etc. at 3 different contests. Honestly, I think that loop hole will be tightened.

well I guess Butcher and Fast Eddy need to figure out how to push the envelope for the rest of us on this one.

I hate to be a wet rag. But the PNWBA is a governing body on their own aren't they? I beielve there are a couple of KCBS contests up in those parts, right? Why would they focus in that area? KC/Missouri region was way too low for numbers of cooks in the area. Especially when compared to Texas that doesn't even support more than 1 KCBS contest? Nothing in the NE and that isn't right either.

For rent.... for right price, money back guarantee. Limited opportunities. Willing to travel

You are correct sir...the PNWBA is our sanctioning body up here. We had one KCBS comp last year (Bellevue, WA) and so far none on the schedule for this year.

Now as to WHY they should focus in our area...because I'm here dammit...:twisted:

It could be that the saturation of Sam's Clubs may have been a deciding factor. I only know of one small store in the Seattle area, home of Costco.

Hell, in the Dallas area I know of and have been in at least 10 stores and I don't know the saturation in Ft. Worth, which is a whole nother world (like where the West begins and if that is true, then Dallas is where the East peters out).

I'm surprised about the Ft. Worth site because a new Flagship (one of only three in the world) Sam's/Wally World is being built in Dallas but it may not be open in time.

Yep...only one Sam's Club south of Seattle and a half dozen Wally World's scattered here and there.

So to be sure I understand this...To compete in the long island regional, I have to go to PA or VA or NC, score in the top ten to return back to the island to compete....um...yuk, oh, going to the Royal that weekend anyway. So the regional event (5) could pull a lot of folks from the royal...all the better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back