THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't beat the weber kettle. Everyone needs at least one! Although I have 3.....

Nice ribs and ABTs! Looks like you ate well tonight! :thumb:

Wasn't comfortable with finishing the cook with the dregs of the coals and wood that I started with... added a handful of KBB and a couple small chunks of hickory... opened the bottom vents on the kettle and took off the lid for a short bit. Ribs finished off nicely, if a touch dark.

2016-09-10%2018.04.35_zpsphyzhfwx.jpg

Momma made up some wilted spinach with garlic and doctored up some Bush's Grillin' Beans better than the company could ever make 'em in the can. Ribs had a nice crust 'round the outside, but were moist and tender... just a little pull off the bone. Not exactly where I want 'em to be, but I'll take it as my first smoking adventure on this kettle!

2016-09-10%2018.38.54_zpsclrcp0am.jpg

Took the munchkin for a walk around the neighborhood (strapped to me), then came home and sipped on the rest of that barley wine... stuff's potent and delicious!

Appreciate the kind words. Had a fun afternoon learning new things.

Nice job Marc!

I love my kettle, took me some time to get onto cooking on it but once I did it works great.

That's a winner! I use the same setup on my kettle for smoking. I used to use the snake method, but what you did is so much easier to set up and manage temps.

That's a winner! I use the same setup on my kettle for smoking. I used to use the snake method, but what you did is so much easier to set up and manage temps.
This is the way I feel. I only use the snake method for butts, which can fit in the middle of the grate, and require longer than 5-6 hours to cook. The snake method for untrimmed spares requires me to open the lid to move the meat, prolonging the cook and interfering with my beer drinking.

This is the way I feel. I only use the snake method for butts, which can fit in the middle of the grate, and require longer than 5-6 hours to cook. The snake method for untrimmed spares requires me to open the lid to move the meat, prolonging the cook and interfering with my beer drinking.

I don't even bother with the snake for butts anymore either. Same setup. Last week I did 2 8lb+ butts, and a 5lb corned beef brisket on one grate with that setup. I use my rotisserie riser to give me some height, and put drip pans on the first cook grate, cooking on the upper grate. Started with that half filled with stubbs briquettes, oak, apple & maple chunks buried & on top. I added 8 lit coals in one end, and got about 7 hours burn time.

Maybe the difference is the extra height I get with the riser. It's another 6" or so above the first grate. Either way it's almost a set it and forget it setup for me.

Back