Lighter Fluid

If you dont have a flame thrower or turkey fryer, get yourself a chafing dish burner. Forget the lighter fluid and paper. They cost around $1 and last forever. It doesnt get much windier than it is down here, and they dont ******* on me.

oimg_010226161248.gif

I've been using dried pine cones as starter! they work great after being dried / stored for several months. Ever seen an XMas tree go up?

How funny I thought, I was the only one who ever tried that! Unfortunately where I'm at now I don't have a good supply of pine cones. I would have to go find them but they do work great.

I used to use newspaper to get the chimney going, but didnt' like it when it smelled like burning trash for a few minutes...Always had it in mind to find a the burner from a campers stove, or a single burner unit that back packers use, rig it up some how to allow you to set your chimney starter on top of it and fire away...Now, I'm able to use the propane fired side burners on my Diamond plate 60, and it works great...Might be worth the effort to find an old, inexpensive propane burner and make it work....Maybe include in the fabrication of the burner assembly some sort of shield to block the wind. It would certainly take a little doing to get it built...But if your going to use it all the time, might be worthwhile.

firecrackerjack

i use pam and paper towels....works great......but i may get the weed burner....."Melting Ice on the sidewalk" will stop the missus from thinking im crazy for buying it

In my baby Stump I just wad up a couple of sheets of newspaper, put it in the ash pan, make sure there is lump in the chute and light the paper. Works great. Anything else I use a chimney, I haven't used lighter fluid for years and years. :-D

Maybe it's just me, but .....gas from the lawn mower?? lighter fluid??
Propane??

All just to light a fire to COOK with.

Sounds like someone should have paid attention in boy scouts...

Ok here is what i do, and granted I have never attempted this in a hurricane, but.....

I use my handy Weber 22.5" kettle and set my charcoal chimney on it with two sheets (no more, no less) of newspaper (for all those who don't know - they use soy ink in newspapers and have for many years - so it is paper [wood] and soy ink). If the wind is up I use the top to the kettle as a wind break, by leaning it up against the chimney.

Yes sometimes I have to re-light, but seldom if ever do i have to do it more than twice.

The quality of your charcoal makes a huge difference too.
Some of that stuff you NEED a weed burner to get going.

And say what you want...for those of you who use lighter fluid - I challenge you to do this: after the cook is done, and your ashes cool-off..take a good whiff of them...smell that? Yup, it is the residue of the lighter fluid you smell - still there, long after the charcoal is done for.

Vegetable oil spray on paper towels, newspapers, the inside of the charcoal bag.....

The folks at Packaging Service Co. (makers of Frontier and Jack Daniel's charcoal) sent me a bunch of stuff to review for my blog. Among them, they sent me a bottle of this:

Frontier® Eco-Start® Charcoal Lighter Fuel

449194856.jpg

Eco-Start® is a 100% natural, non-petroleum based lighter gel. It is a safe and clean-fuel alternative to traditional lighter fluid. This earth-friendly gel is made from renewable energy sources. Smokeless and odorless, Eco-Start® keeps fumes out of the cooking area and the petroleum taste away from the food. Since it's a gel, there's no splash when applying or flare-ups when lighting.

I tried it twice this past weekend in a standard Weber chimney and I love the stuff! You add a few coals, lay on a ribbon of the gel (maybe 2-3 tablespoons), then add some more coals and light. There were no fumes and it fired right up.

It's made largely from ethanol and cellulose fiber.

The product is available at the following retailers, at a suggested retail of $4.99-$5.99:

Ace Hardware (and www.acehardwareoutlet.com)
Brookshire Grocery
Meijer
Raley's
Whole Foods

John

Last edited:
I just scored a 22.5" weber one touch platinum last night from a guy who included a 1/2 bag of kingsford, 2 bags of match light and 2 full bottles of lighter fluid. All his coals went to the camp fire last night along with one bottle of the nasty stuff. The last bottle will also go to the camp fire gods and will never again harm my new weber!

This poor thing is starting to relax but I found it rocking back and forth in the fetal position at this guys place saying.. "he started dousing me in gasoline"

Back