Lighter Fluid

I see a lot of replies recommending the weed burner. I have used this method and to be honest I had to stop using it. The comments from my guests and neighbors were kind of embarrassing. It's really something you would expect to see Tim the Tool Man using. Just a bit of over kill. Nothing like starting your charcoal with a flame thrower that sounds like a rocket taking off accompanied by a shower of sparks worthy of a fireworks display.. :lol:

Dang, I'm going out today to get one of them...:twisted:

Dave

IMG_0220-1.jpg

Oh yeah, I could use that for the 4th of July fireworks as well....

Dave

I too like the weed burner, especially for my offset... I also like using a turkey fryer for when I just need a single chimney of coals....

Never like starter fluid....

The veg oil on some newspaper works very well never had to restart one using that, But I like using the weed burner because I not only can get the lump going fast I also use it to burn of the cooking grates and pre heat the smoker. And I like knowing my neighbors must think I am nuts.
Dave

I see a lot of replies recommending the weed burner. I have used this method and to be honest I had to stop using it. The comments from my guests and neighbors were kind of embarrassing.

Sounds like you need some different guest and neighbors.
OR use a plumber's propane torch.

Well i use a small torch. But have been told that Pam works great. I suppose similar to Veg oil. And you can spray down your grill with it if need be.

Gotta go and get me one of them torches and possibly another 5 gal tank. This could be trouble.

What I have been doing, is useing a Huge WAD of paper maybe 10-15 sheets, rolled up in a tight donut, and spray a tiny bit of lighter fluid on the paper (not the coals) to get the fire going, i find it gets the paper going haywire, and find it lights over twice as fast than not using it to help ignite the paper, there is a bit of a stinky smell for the first 5 seconds,,, thats about it, and i notice zero petrolium taste either,,, I only do this on really wind days, or when im in a bit of a hurry or really hungry, it cuts the starting time almost in half,

I've been using dried pine cones as starter! they work great after being dried / stored for several months. Ever seen an XMas tree go up?

When in a pinch some gasoline from the lawn mower always works great.

Save lint out of the lint trap in your dryer. Kepp it in a sealed container--I use 35mm film canisters. Add a few drops of lighter fluid--like is used in zippo lighters. Stuff the lint ball in the middle of your paper wad. It will give the paper burn a kick start. Or you could always buy a weed burner

Back