THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Well thanks to some inspiration and advice by Joe Steel & El Ropo, I thought I'd give Q'd chuckie a go. We get a whole grassfed Hereford steer every year (which leaves us with ALOT of roasts to use up) and it sounded like fun to put a twist on the traditional roast in the cast iron dutch oven. I thought I'd keep it simple for the first time out, so here we go:

thawing.jpg

One blade-bone chuck and one arm-roast chuck. I didn't want the meat to get lonely on the kettle, so I thought I'd put it on in pairs!

rub.jpg

A simple rub, started with a couple decent pre-made seasonings):
1/2 c Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning
1/2 c Weber Gourmet Burger Seasoning
1/4 c garlic salt
1/4 c turbinado sugar (like Sugar in the Raw)
1/4 c smoked paprika
1 packet French Onion Soup mix (with the dehydrated onions strained out)

withrub.jpg

Show me the rub!!

MORE TO FOLLOW AS THE DAY GOES ON!!!

Two good chunks of beef and a whole lot of flavor going on in that rub. Looks like it's gonna be a good day. Eagerly awaiting updated pics.

Looking forward to it as well, I've been wanting to try a "chuckie" myself. I really like the French onion soup mix idea. What do you do with the leftover dehydrated onions, put them in a baste sauce or something else?

So here's the cooker set-up:

grove.jpg

I am a BIG fan of hardwood lump, particularly Grove brand since it's local, has awesome flavor, heat, burntime, and gets good reviews - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag49.htm .

chimney.jpg

I seem to get good temp control with lump with the ring method. There IS a little bit in that chimney to get things going, but you don't need a huge fire when it's over 90 degrees outside and no wind!

on.jpg

It's on like Donkey Kong!!!

Looking forward to it as well, I've been wanting to try a "chuckie" myself. I really like the French onion soup mix idea. What do you do with the leftover dehydrated onions, put them in a baste sauce or something else?

I usually end up getting lazy and throwing them away, but now that you mention it, I COULD get some other use outta them huh? :grin:

I love using the French Onion Soup Mix on meats, it carmelizes REALLY well in the bark!:biggrin1:

Trying "to be all things to all people" (to quote Paul :thumb:), I started out just above 200 degrees for 1-1/2 hours, and am now attempting to hang out in the beloved 270 degree range (+/- 20 degrees) for probably at least another 4 or 5 hours, or until it just "feels right" :pray:. Some days I feel lucky if I just manage to keep it between "raw" and "burned" lol....

Last edited:
Can't wait to see how those turn out. I love the Lipton Onion Soup idea, reminds me of my mom, she used to throw a roast into the crockpot with a packet of that stuff. Great flavor.

Very cool.. I am warming up the pit for my first Chuckie also.. Hope they turn out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2-1/2 hours in and we're rockin' right along at 270 degrees:

270.jpg

To answer two possible questions: 1) No, I don't sight unseen trust that thermometer. 2) Yes, I did check it to make sure it's on, and it is SPOT on 270 (don't wanna get in any trouble lol).....

twohalf.jpg

It's getting REALLY hard to avoid the temptation of slicing in for just a LITTLE taste!! But, ummm, must, errr, uhhh, RESIST!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

Can't wait to see how those turn out. I love the Lipton Onion Soup idea, reminds me of my mom, she used to throw a roast into the crockpot with a packet of that stuff. Great flavor.

That's something I got from my wife's mother. We always (up until now!) cook all of our chuckies by rubbing down with EVOO, dusting with onion soup mix, then searing in the cast iron dutch oven on the stovetop before letting it slow-braise at low temps all day in the oven. Methinks her recipe might have a run for its money after today!

Foiled thru the stall and up to about 185! Sounds like I should be able to count on something resembling probe tender occurring somewhere in the 200-205 IT range???? Thoughts anyone? Probe tender before I pull it to rest? How long does the rest HAVE to be?

Well the blade-bone chuck was like jello to the touch at 202 degrees. Here's a pic before wrapping to rest. The arm-roast was bigger and is lagging behind, so it sounds like dinnertime seconds will be as fresh as the firsts!

chuckdone.jpg

Finished product was amazing; perfect texture, plenty of juiciness (whoever says grassfed beef isn't marbled enough is welcome to come over for dinner), a balanced smokiness that said "BBQ" without hiding the flavor of the meat, and it left us wanting more even after it was gone! I am sure glad for this forum and the BBQ guidance from some Brethren!

Naked chopped/pulled:
chopped.jpg

Sauced w/ a little homemade somethin' somethin':
sauced.jpg

Will call this cook a wrap, but will DEFINITELY be revisiting this one!

Dude. The marbling in beef is not for flavor, it is to keep it from drying out. Beef fat tastes like arm pits (I assume).

Loving the grass fed here. You just have to be able to cook.

Dude. The marbling in beef is not for flavor, it is to keep it from drying out. Beef fat tastes like arm pits (I assume).

Loving the grass fed here. You just have to be able to cook.

You are in the wrong forum. Need to skeedadle on over to the pork lovers forum.

Beef fat is all about flavor you poor soul.

You are in the wrong forum. Need to skeedadle on over to the pork lovers forum.

Beef fat is all about flavor you poor soul.

Dude, I think you may be confused. Sending me to the pork lovers forum???? Pork fat is delicious. Exhibit A-- bacon. Nuff said.

That is why I *heart* the Berkshire. Marbled pork.

Cook some beef fat and eat it like bacon. Just sayin.

Dear Mr. Seoul -

My quote: Finished product was amazing; perfect texture, plenty of juiciness (whoever says grassfed beef isn't marbled enough is welcome to come over for dinner), a balanced smokiness that said "BBQ" without hiding the flavor of the meat.....

I stated that my grassfed beef is in fact marbled which contributed to the JUICINESS of my chuckie. Some people say that it isn't, although it can be when properly raised. You incorrectly quoted me as attributing the flavor to the fat content/marbling. Besides that error, in MANY (some would argue most) people's opinions, beef fat is DELICIOUS. Exhibit A - a cleaned plate from a properly grilled (and marbled/fatty) ribeye, even naked (the ribeye, that is lol)! Counterpoint - you offered bacon (which I adore :thumb:) as your exhibit to the tastiness of pork. Bacon is salt-cured and smoked, without that it is called side-pork (or pork-belly). Have you ever pan fried some uncured/unsmoked side-pork. Now THAT is a much closer definition to the flavor of armpit :icon_sick (I assume).... HOWEVER, when it is introduced to and married with flavor (the "bacon-ing" process, or my personal favorite, Hong Shao Rou http://redcook.net/2009/03/01/red-cooked-pork-redux/ ), side-pork becomes a slice of heaven! But I digress, in the end, it is all a subjective matter of opinion....I love me some charred beef fat, you can enjoy all of the swine blubber that you care for, and there is still enough room for both of our palates in this fine forum :mrgreen:. Have a wonderful evening my friend.....

Back