Large charcoal grill ?

Smoke Hollow made a charcoal grill that was 24x60 and adjustable years ago. 2 grates front and back that were independently adjustable. Like along camp grill. They were 299 I think. I wish I'd bought one when they had them at Albertsons.

they haven't said a Budget, usually they just Talk about something for Years before they do it - or may never do it. Kitchen guy has asking for something and Boss says " See what you can find and let me know"....... :tsk:

they haven't said a Budget, usually they just Talk about something for Years before they do it - or may never do it. Kitchen guy has asking for something and Boss says " See what you can find and let me know"....... :tsk:

For the numbers they are talking, I'd almost look at the "event grill" from Sam's Club. Pretty decent grill (for what it is) if they take care to keep it covered.

Smoke Hollow made a charcoal grill that was 24x60 and adjustable years ago. 2 grates front and back that were independently adjustable. Like along camp grill. They were 299 I think. I wish I'd bought one when they had them at Albertsons.

No you don't. I have one rotting down in my yard. Bought mine at Sams, can't remember what I paid, but I am pretty sure it was more than $300, but it also has a firebox for smoking. It was actually a pretty good charcoal grill. It has turn handles for moving the grates up and down, but the brackets that held the grates roached out after a few years. After about 5 years, the entire bottom of it roached out. The firebox was almost useless. Just a horrible design, that wouldn't draft to save your life.

Does your facility have access to a metal working shop or machine shop? I assume your facility may be tied to the local government or similar group and may have the ability to get access to a shop. The biggest thing would be getting access to a large shear and break. The ones in our shop can handle a full 8’ sheet.

I’m the chief cook and bottle washer for the bbqs at work and have been cooking three or four times a year for groups between 50 and 100 people for three decades on the same home made grill. The grill was made in our machine shop out of a couple sheets of stainless sheet metal over 30+ years ago and has been sitting outside the entire time and will probably outlast all of us. It is a simple design that has served me well. It is about 5to 6 feet long by about 2 feet wide.( I never measured it.) It doesn’t have a lid and when I get flairups I just move stuff to another area of the grill until the flairup burns out in 30 seconds to a minute.

I make the left half of the grill the hottest and have it get cooler to the right. The rightmost foot of so of the grill I use as a keep warm section and only put a minimum number of coals in that area. Works pretty good. If you think you can get one made, I can take photos and measurements for you to copy. Chris

Last edited:
Start a fundraiser. I’m sure between the brethren and local bbq places you can scrap something decent together.

No you don't. I have one rotting down in my yard. Bought mine at Sams, can't remember what I paid, but I am pretty sure it was more than $300, but it also has a firebox for smoking. It was actually a pretty good charcoal grill. It has turn handles for moving the grates up and down, but the brackets that held the grates roached out after a few years. After about 5 years, the entire bottom of it roached out. The firebox was almost useless. Just a horrible design, that wouldn't draft to save your life.
this had less moving parts and was thicker than what you're talking about. It was an open top charcoal grill.

bMEK2wi.jpg

Last edited:
Does your facility have access to a metal working shop or machine shop? I assume your facility may be tied to the local government or similar group and may have the ability to get access to a shop. The biggest thing would be getting access to a large shear and break. The ones in our shop can handle a full 8’ sheet.

I’m the chief cook and bottle washer for the bbqs at work and have been cooking three or four times a year for groups between 50 and 100 people for three decades on the same home made grill. The grill was made in our machine shop out of a couple sheets of stainless sheet metal over 30+ years ago and has been sitting outside the entire time and will probably outlast all of us. It is a simple design that has served me well. It is about 5to 6 feet long by about 2 feet wide.( I never measured it.) It doesn’t have a lid and when I get flairups I just move stuff to another area of the grill until the flairup burns out in 30 seconds to a minute.

I make the left half of the grill the hottest and have it get cooler to the right. The rightmost foot of so of the grill I use as a keep warm section and only put a minimum number of coals in that area. Works pretty good. If you think you can get one made, I can take photos and measurements for you to copy. Chris

I Wish. One location is contracted with the State of Texas and the other location with Federal Bureua of Prisons - we have to Follow All their Rules BUT get NONE of their benefits as we are a seperate company/entity. We also have a Veterans help branch and ADA Housing, Low Income Elderly Housing and other Stuff I don't deal with - I am Sole Building maintenance person at the 2 locations. Jobs OK but the Pay Sucks..........

It's Volunteers of America/Tx.............there is Also Volunteers of America in other States.

https://www.voatx.org/

Last edited:
On Grills I like Ones where the Entire Lid Opens instead of just doors like a pipe smoker since you have to flip many pieces of meat - chicken, burgers etc. Reaching in thru doors to flip meat is a PITA.......

like these: - Size is Perfect - they just Don't Last and Moving them would shorten Life of Grill even More. Dual Lids might be even better but still Open Fully. Otherwise they'd be Perfect --if it was 14-12-11 gauge..........as it Would have to Live Outside and get moved between locations - Unless by some Miracle Each location got One but they'd still Live Outside. Kitchen Staff at both locations have single barrel grills personally - at their house - so they are used to these style grills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX4IR2wlLBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqFMJrzK7u4

Last edited:
I haven't looked through the whole thread, so sorry if it's been addressed - but if portability isn't a necessity, then maybe build a block grill, kinda Southern Church style?

I haven't looked through the whole thread, so sorry if it's been addressed - but if portability isn't a necessity, then maybe build a block grill, kinda Southern Church style?

They won’t allow it. Main reason is they think it looks tacky -but the whole building looks tacky to me. They do have some reasonable excuses :1. is they don’t want to put it out in the back of the property because the residents take Rec time out there and they are all straight out of prison and some of them do a lot of stupid things .
2. And too Far for the kitchen staff. So it would be have to be kept behind the building by the kitchens back door - but it would need to be able to be moved when needed -for various reasons......

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I don’t know what you guys are paying to rent the grill every month, but over the years you have probably paid for that grill multiple times by now. Shame your bean counter can’t figure out that it would probably be cheaper in the long run to just buy one identical to the one you rent. Heck maybe you can get a good price on the used rental unit, you may be their only renter. Chris

Last edited:
Heard back from a cpl builders - they want to build a 3/16 or 1/4” pipe grill but that’s not what we’re looking for . Don’t want something that Heavy and don’t want reach in doors.
Probally better off just buying two little cheap barrel grills and set them side-by-side and use them till they rest out and then buy some more........ :twitch:

Well work has done clamped down on money spending on anything as they had to get the sewers re-done - including tunneling under the building 50 foot one Direction 32 foot the other direction
But I say if you’re spending $25-$30K , another measily $500-$600-$800 shouldn’t matter.......:mrgreen: but they say NO.

Back