THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Yoeri
Local grocery store had a deal on leg of lamb so I picked one up for a cook to be determined. Decided I wanted barbacoa so that's what I cooked yesterday. Took a lot longer than anticipated but came out fantastic. Misses made corn tortillas.

Lamb seasoned with rub and extra garlic powder. 3 hours in the smoke and then with barbacoa mixture in a covered cooking tray until falling apart. Pull and put back on smoker until most liquid is gone. Huge flavors. I'm usually not a fan of lamb but damn this was a step up from doing this with beef.

b8c589f71639d151f513057d4387902e.jpg

c3ce5fa5b3b6d9687f1fd7abcd58e41d.jpg

096c6dd21ce934b679211b8596aa3c5b.jpg

f176772665d14da97ef644dc712f0854.jpg

61b1498eab38f4b01989024fc86b1930.jpg

3bfd340729d30c694a4933cfbbaa3636.jpg

e2a34feb34d7ff91ebc4d08271cf87eb.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Oh, wow! That's a thing of beauty!

Never had it with lamb before... that would be almost luxurious.

You remind me that I need to get some beef cheeks for some barbacoa over the holidays.

Looks delicious! What's in the barbacoa mixture?

Ofer, I found this recipe on here, used it several times with beef and it was even better with the lamb.

Barbacoa for tacos. I can't remember if I got this recipe here or if I got it elsewhere and converted to be cooked kind of like Pepper Stout Beef. Serve it with cilantro, fresh or pickled onion, and cholulua.

3 lbs chuck roast (fat trimmed)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 chiptoles in adobo sauce, chopped (or more to taste)
1 small white onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
2 teaspoons salt (plus additional to season roast)
1 teaspoon black pepper (plus additional to season roast)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 cup beef broth or water

Heavily season chuck roast with salt and pepper and cook on smoker at 225 until an internal temp of 165 is reached

While roast is cooking, mix the other ingredients together in a 13x9 or similar aluminum or oven safe pan.

Once the roast hits 165Âş, place into pan directly on top of other ingredient mixture and cover tightly with foil. Cook in smoker or oven at 350Âş for 2.5-3hrs or until roast is fork tender. Once meat is tender, shred all of the meat in the liquid and mix thoroughly. If more liquid is needed to give the meat a good coating, add 1/2 to 1 cup of hot water. Place back into oven and cook for an additional 15-30 minutes until most all liquid has cooked into the meat.

I have used that recipe on beef as well...one of the best things I have ever cooked.

Now...you put lamb in the equation...damn!! Gotta try it.

Exactly why I wanted to try the lamb, usually recipes have beef as meat but lamb and goat are the traditional stuff.

That looks absolutely delicious!

On this side of the Atlantic, especially in the mid-West, Lamb is generally EXPENSIVE! European lamb and salmon options are both awesome. A herring run in the Netherlands should not be missed either.

I have really enjoyed some Goat generally close the to Mexican border in very humble establishments and a few Indian places farther North. Goat is often looked down upon in the USA but, it is darn good eats when done right.

Lamb is so seldomly cooked most places, it is a real hit or miss when out and about traveling. Generally, goat for some reason is usually very good IF it is offered.

Back