THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks guys, I have 37 teams now that say money is in the mail and the ad in the Bullsheet will fill up the contest. We are looking forward to a great contest! I will be in California all next week working on a contest there and visiting a friend named Mickey!

Thanks for the support!

Arlie

i don't know much about sponsors and what they contribute to prize money in events such as this, but we watch alot of pro fishing shows at my job on sunday mornings and those guys are competing for huge prize money. my question is, is it the sponsors that such purses are attributed to, and if so would a competition such as this one be the first step in taking bbq competitions in the same direction? thanks.

phil

rookiedad said:
i don't know much about sponsors and what they contribute to prize money in events such as this, but we watch alot of pro fishing shows at my job on sunday mornings and those guys are competing for huge prize money. my question is, is it the sponsors that such purses are attributed to, and if so would a competition such as this one be the first step in taking bbq competitions in the same direction? thanks.

phil

Yep, sponsors are HUGE in determining the prize pool. Face it, entry fees don't come close to a decent pot for the GC, RGC, placing, etc.

I judged at Kissimmee (FBA) this year and a Bass tourney was going at the same time...it was real enlightening to watch the calls for the fishing guys -- they were taking $1000 down to 18th place!!!:shock:

Now, granted, they have a lot more invested in their sport than we do (for the most part for equipment, boats, etc.), but they are also SPONSORED themselves.

It's a whole different world.

arlieque said:
Thanks guys, I have 37 teams now that say money is in the mail and the ad in the Bullsheet will fill up the contest. We are looking forward to a great contest! I will be in California all next week working on a contest there and visiting a friend named Mickey!

Thanks for the support!

Arlie

Hey! My name isn't Mickey!!!

Oh. you were talking about the rat.

Dang, seven pages before I ever make a comment on this... that's unusual! :lol:

I'm not a fan of this myself. KCBS is not upholding the goal of PRESERVING BBQ as it claims. What I don't follow is that Jim says it could be grilling, deep frying or whatever but that KCBS can now sanction it in a different division. No offense meant and not personal at all Jim, but that's absurd! It's called the Kansas City BARBEQUE Society. MLB doesn't have an aluminum bat division. The NFL doesn't have a flag football division. It's about BARBEQUE. It was founded because of BBQ. Why water down what we have with ancillary contests that aren't BBQ? I do not believe, nor will I ever believe that gassers cook BBQ. Had I been on the BOD, it definitely would not have been unamimous.

Jeff
The reality is KCBS is a busniess that sanctions contests. There will continue to be Barbecue but we have the resources to sanction other style of contests. Like any business you do grow or die.

This contest has no effect on what you will continue to do while competing.

I don't take this personel, it wasn't my plan but I do understand the reasoning behind KCBS's branching out to sanction other styles of cooking.

I believe this contest will help get additional money into other contest, someone has to be the first. The master series contest will see larger purses in the long run.

The likes of Texas Rib Rangers, Chris Lilly, Lee Ann Whippen, Music City Pig Pals, Paradise Ridge just name a few all cook on Old Hickory cookers and produce BBQ no matter how you or anyone else chooses to define it.

I compete on a Klose and have a pellet cooker but as I need more production for catering or vending I will pick up an Old Hickory, it is not selling out, it make ecomonic sense to do so.

I also understand that if your into perserving the heritage of BBQ you won't be cooking on the equipement we are using while competing today, it's OK. BBQ today is not what it was 150 years ago not even 100, we just choose draw a line where we are now and anything on the other side we choose to call it something else. How many stone and brick pits do you see at competitions, how many of you are burning down logs to coals for fuel at contests? That is the tradition.

I don't want to see what we do today go away but I don't have a problem with cooks that use LP fired pits holding a contest. Feel free to disagree but don't lie to yourselves about what the tradition is.

Jim, to me, tradition is how *I* know something. The way WE have always done it. The way that I, along with my peers, have grown up learning things. and the way BBQ was done when the KCBS was founded.

I have a lot of business experience and in my experience, when you grow to branch out and incorporate other ideas, lines of products or services, you weaken what it is that you do best. The companies that are the most successful stick with what they founded their business on, whether it be a level of service or a product. When you start trying to be a specialty business that goes beyond the specialty, you're asking for trouble. KCBS is a specialty business. It should sanction BBQ contests and leave the freak shows (sorry for the analogy) to the circuses. That, however, is my opinion.

Jeff
So you are truely the guy that draws the line in the sand saying this side is tradition but don't go there. Just so you know KCBS has changed a lot of rules and the way they do things since being founded 20 years ago.

The rules are not our speciality, sanctioning is. We have to change a few lines in the rules and the contest goes on. The judges and that process have to change nothing. The only thing that changes is the fuel supply.

Jim

All I can say is............Wow!.

Its amazing how one contest....concept....experiment.. can spark such controversy and passion.

From my understanding, KCBS is NOT changing our rules in the masters series.. They are expanding the rules for a DIFFERENT KIND OF EVENT. Our rules are still the same.. and our class/series is intact(for now).

Forget about the business aspect of this... most likely, most of us are not looking at the business goals and strategic plans of KCBS as a corp, so lets move past that part..and discuss the symantecs.. what i think is really torquing people.

We call what we are doing a sport??? Fine..
Call the dividing lines what you want.. Leagues, Divisions, Classes.

EVERY major sport has divisions. EVERY major sport has levels.. Every major sport has some form of defining and dividing lines. Every sport has different pay grades for the players and payouts for their events.

Divisions ones...
Pro Divisions/ NCAA / amateur divisions / Semi Pro divisions
Stock / modified / super modified class
Minor leagues / Major leagues
Nascar, Indy, Formula One, Dragsters, Baha.

There are different tracks, courts, fields, rings, etc.... racing has differnet rules for the paved track or the dirt road. Wrestling has differnt rules for the collegate circle or the pro ring.. sandlot is differnt form the pros, and flag footballs rules are differnet than football.. yet everyone of these is some ADAPTATION of its PRIMARY SPORT.

and now we have the BBQ Masters division, and the BBQ Competitors Division.

None of these additional leagues/classes/divisions have watered down their respective sports, but expanded the options of the competitors. this can equate to visibility to the outsiders, specifically the sponsors and the public.. and if it is successful, this IS going to mean growth. I am sure that Gatorade will sponsor a top fuel dragster just as readily as nascar or baha. But something had to attract them.. Companies like Charbroil, Weber, Viking, DCS will be much more likely to look at a gasser event than one with a bunch of log burners, and once KCBS has their foot in the door, those sponsorships can flow across ALL KCBS divisions. This could mean more for US.

KCBS is NOT changing our(masters)rules.. I just don't see an issue.

Sidebar: Now, if KCBS starts allowing gassers into the masters series... all bets are off then, I'm sure that will have nuclear fallout much more heated than this.. before someone jumps on me for selling out, .. my personal stance has not changed. i already have to deal with the thermostats(boo Hiss boo). Set it, and forget it.. IMO, at that point, heat sources can be electric heating elements, augers dropping pellets, farkin solar power, or gas burners... who cares.. its all the same to me.. its an artificial or mechanically assisted heat source and its allowed.. so for that stuff i wont even waste my breath anymore.:twisted: (please, different debate)

Jeff_in_KC said:
Jim, to me, tradition is how *I* know something. The way WE have always done it. The way that I, along with my peers, have grown up learning things. and the way BBQ was done when the KCBS was founded.

I have a lot of business experience and in my experience, when you grow to branch out and incorporate other ideas, lines of products or services, you weaken what it is that you do best. The companies that are the most successful stick with what they founded their business on, whether it be a level of service or a product. When you start trying to be a specialty business that goes beyond the specialty, you're asking for trouble. KCBS is a specialty business. It should sanction BBQ contests and leave the freak shows (sorry for the analogy) to the circuses. That, however, is my opinion.

Interesting analogy, and the sword cuts both ways. You can find plenty of examples of companies that were either unwilling, or unable to adapt to a changing market or technology.

I'll save the rest of the debate for a day when I'm drinking your Shiner Bock:wink:

You may be interested in how KCBS changes rules. Back in the beginning there was no or limited uses of electricity. A cook writes in and asks if he can use a blower to help with fire control in his cooker. That is granted.

Then there are these new pellet cookers that come along with thermostats to regulate the fuel supply. KCBS rules that as long as the fuel supply is wood they are legal.

These rules have evolved over a short period of time 20 years. In these two cases before I got on the Board.

Because a blower is legal and thermostats are legal by default Gurus and Stokers are legal.

The tradition we are perserving is a real short tradition. If there was a contest that wanted to use wood and coals but not allow thermostats or electical aided pits it could not be sanctioned under the Master series but the competitor series could be adapted to hold that contest.

jminion said:
The tradition we are perserving is a real short tradition. If there was a contest that wanted to use wood and coals but not allow thermostats or electical aided pits it could not be sanctioned under the Master series but the competitor series could be adapted to hold that contest.

You've changed my mind Jim, I can see how the Competitor series could allow for some cool contests. A stickburner-only contest for instance. I've seen many folks wish that contest rules focused more on fire-tending skills, well here is the chance to sanction such contests.

WOW--I go off line for a week and you guys have all the fun :lol:
Lots of emotion and reasoned thoughts mixed all together.

My observation--Chad and I have never been beaten by a cooker (BBQ Pit). We have been beaten by many cooks who were more talented than we were on that day. And, they cooked on all kinds of cookers.

When this thread eventually dies, I am going to copy it for my off-spring. Many years from now, they will drag it out and laugh. The discussion will be the action by the Intergalatic BBQ Society (formally known as the KCBS, then the USBS, then the WWBS) to allow the use of the new heat minerals mined from Mars as a heat source. The hard core "Nuke powered" only cooker crowd is pitching a fit.

My descendants will look at this thread with glee and say. "Lookie here. In the early 2000's they actually used wood for heat. How quaint! " :lol:
For me, just "bring it on" and lets cook!!!!!!!

Gotta keep it all in perspective :redface:

JMHO.

TIM

ique said:
You've changed my mind Jim, I can see how the Competitor series could allow for some cool contests. A stickburner-only contest for instance. I've seen many folks wish that contest rules focused more on fire-tending skills, well here is the chance to sanction such contests.

This whole thing has put me a position to defend a contest using LP but I cook on a Klose or WSMs. We don't use air induction equipement or thermostat controled devices. I don't use LP except to start some charcoal, not even plumbed into the Klose. I cook using fire control I've learned over years of cooking, the size of the fire and logs that have been aged correctly. I don't have any problems with anyone using what they want, LP, electric, pellets it does not matter. It is about the cook not the equipement.

Funny the positions we end up in.

I have to agree with Jim on business aspects of this and Phil on the two "series" of contests.

KCBS core business is sanctioning BBQ contests. That is where they make thier bread and butter. They have earned the respect of other areas with thier ability to sanction, manage, and otherwise allow these types of events to scale from 12 teams up to 400+ teams. I would take that core knowledge and offer it up for other kinds of contests too. What better way to make money and help use that money to spread that core message about BBQ. The fact they are sanctioning gurus is a bonus - and gets exposure for all of us. I'd sanction chili cook-offs, bake-offs, etc.

The money at this contest will start to drive more money and exposure into the other contests and the KCBS in general. And win or lose this contest does NOT effect the masters series, so there is only upside for the masters from my perspective.

You know my thoughts on gas in the contests. I say bring it. If good old wood only BBQ is the best, it will continue to win, and you wont see gassers competing. Or Electric, or solar :) More power too 'em. It's the cook not the cooker.

I'm cookin in this contest, and I'm excited to try cooking on yet another style of cooker, and see how MY que tastes on it. I would like to be nieve and think my BBQ is going to taste good coming off of a home built offset, a kingfisher rotisserie, an FEC-100, or a Southern Pride! (or an CTO, if I have to rent one from Arlie!!!)

LP, Gassers, Wood burners, Pellets, Tree Turds, Charcoal what does it matter. The main reason I do contests is to have FUN and enjoy the company of others who enjoy BBQ like I do. So I can't see what it matters what we use to cook on or with and whether its a competitors series or a masters series or how much the prize money is as long a you have fun. Hell I've got meat cookn on the WSM as I rant about this ( You know why?) because I enjoy it. Arlie and Jim my hands out to you both for taking the opinions of others in stride and I hope you do this because you enjoy it. KCBS should continue to grow and prosper. Rant over and BTW this post makes me a full fledged farker ( I think ). Here's to the cooks not the cookers!

jminion said:
If there was a contest that wanted to use wood and coals but not allow thermostats or electical aided pits it could not be sanctioned under the Master series but the competitor series could be adapted to hold that contest.

holy chit.. Now THAT is cool.. (If I am reading this right)

So the competitor series does NOT have a preset set of rules(allowing gass)?? But it is a a series where the rules can be tuned and modified based on that specific event.??? If that is being done, while preserving the master series..

Is that correct???? If so....

THAT is forward thinking.!!

I'm impressed. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

BBQchef33 said:
holy chit.. Now THAT is cool.. (If I am reading this right)

So the competitor series does NOT have a preset set of rules(allowing gass)?? But it is a a series where the rules can be tuned and modified based on that specific event.??? If that is being done, while preserving the master series..

Is that correct???? If so....

THAT is forward thinking.!!

I'm impressed. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Yes I agree, thats how I'm reading it as well. How bout a Bandera contest sometime?

Phil
You are reading correct, the rules for the Master series is what it is you want change those it would be a Competitor series cooks. LP is simply one style of contest that can be held not the only style.

Back