THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now that is sweet! We could have an all wood contest. Or an all homemade cooker contest. Or an all offset contest. Or a beef only contest. Or an all cooks over 300lbs contest. The possibilities are endless...

Bigmista said:
Now that is sweet! We could have an all wood contest. Or an all homemade cooker contest. Or an all offset contest. Or a beef only contest. Or an all cooks over 300lbs contest. The possibilities are endless...

Yeah... then the GC's of each of these specific types of fuel, specific cookers only contests could be invited to a Best of the Best Competitor Series type contest...

Bigmista said:
Or an all cooks over 300lbs contest. The possibilities are endless...

Not that this would exclude many cooks. :rolleyes: I guess the sponsors could be Weight Watchers with teams sponsored by bariatric surgeons, Slim4Life, etc.

This hasn't been mentioned yet, but as I sit here watching the Busch Series race, I hope we don't get to a series that a cook has to qualify for like the PGA. Maybe it is unavoidable and maybe we are already there with the few invitational contests like GAB, Royal, Chest to Chest, Butt to Butt, and Jack. But a "Pro" series where we have class seperation would be a major change from today. Sponsorship could drive that to a reality.

On the flip side, I know a lot of backyard guys that don't like competing with the teams that cook 25-40 contests a year. Their chance of placing in anything is slim in comparison.

And on the other side of that, there could be a contest thats for backyarders and amateurs only... Theres loads of great possibilities for new contests. this is sounding better and beter the more i think about it..

AS LONG AS ITS JUST AN ADDITION AND MASTER SERIES REMAINS ASIS...

Do i sound like a broken record?

Hope Joyce keeps you in line out there. Don't be causing any trouble. You are missing some good rain here!

Entries are coming in and I believe this will have some big names in BBQ.
Arlie

Attachments

• LPQLogoChampS.JPG
    LPQLogoChampS.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Its just a different style of contest and will be full soon I hope soon.

I just got back from Vegas working on another big cookoff idea there and in California working on a contest here right now. Take Care, Arlie

Last edited by a moderator:
arlieque said:
I just got back from Vegas working on another big cookoff idea there and in California working on a contest here right now. Take Care, Arlie

How bout showing some love for the northeast?

arlieque said:
Thats OK, no problem! Going to be a cool contest and really no different than attending a EggFest with only Eggs. Maybe you can get a contest together with that charbroil gasser you have! haha
Its just a different style of contest and will be full soon I hope soon.

You're a little mistaken about what an eggfest is. It's a brand specific party sponsored and organized by Big Green Egg dealers and distributors. Only eggs are used. There is no judging whatsoever and it's not sanctioned by anyone. There are no rules. Cook whatever you want on one of our eggs and eat it or give it to a bystander to eat. An eggfest is more like a keg party than any cookoff.

I completely understand from a business side of things the need to expand and also understand the comparisons and references that everyone is making to the sporting world. I think it is great that we are reaching out to more people.

I think however that what most people are overlooking is that all of those sanctioning bodies (NASCAR, NCAA, NFL, MLB etc.,) all define and govern the rules that competitions are based upon not the other way around as is the case (if I am reading this correctly) here. That is what I am a bit hesitant about.

What I dont understand is why instead of waiting for an organizer to come up to the board and ask if they will give their approval to a certain contest. Why not have the organization reach out to the different communities by setting up rules and practices for a number of different popular contests.

Instead of having an organizer develop their own rules which the KCBS then attaches their name too, I think that the KCBS should define the rules that the orgainzers have to adhere to. This will not only give some credence to the sanctioning body but will also ensure that a fair and level playing field has been established, no matter where or when the contest takes place.

I dont think that this would be that difficult of a task and would go a long long way towards the KCBS becoming the authority on the sport of BBQ.

I can see why the KCBS would like to get into the Hank Hill (propane users) market first, that stuff is country wide. But how about some KCBS regional comps based on traditional cooking methods? Maybe a grilling comp for us up heree in the Northeast, a turkey frying contest down south, a Cowboy comp for the westerners, a plank cooked for the Northwesteners and so on. Now that would make for some great competition and provide another whole layer of competitve classes.

Back