THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks great, and def something worth trying! Here is a stupid question, does it taste like fried?

Oh wait it was Chris and Guerry's idea. So who get's credit for this when I open the KFC (Kettle Fried Chicken) Restaurant?

Actually, the truth is that some 1-2 years ago there was a post from someone who made some simulated "fried" chicken on the grill. I don't know who it was or how it was done -- I tried finding it, but couldn't. There have been a lot of posts using "fried" methods on the BBQ using big pots of oil, but I wanted to avoid that crutch. There are tons of recipes for making simulated fried food in the oven using egg white and corn flakes/bread crumbs/whatever. I'm not saying these are bad. They can be quite good, but they don't taste fried. I suspect this is what was in the original post that I remember, but I just don't know. My goal was to try to make something that actually tasted fried. ecode and I did a number of experiments using typical methods like dipping in eggs and flour, etc., but these really did not work on the grill. For instance, a coating of flour on the outside (which is one common technique) does not absorb the oil and just cooks on the crust and doesn't taste good. And layered dipping doesn't incorporate on the grill as it does in a fryer. We came to the conclusion a batter was really necessary and high heat. Also, we liked the result of a final dip in butter -- gives it a nice buttery flavor. You could also dip in oil too or spray with a cooking spray.

I don't have any idea if this is what was in the post I remember, but I think it works well. I also expect something like this has been done many times before. I mean it's really not too difficult and how many things are truly original? I expect Chris or someone to say, "Oh yeah, so-and-so did this back in 2005" or something like that. This is a nice technique and I'm glad lots of people are enjoying it, and that makes me happy. Al is a great advertiser, exporter, and a heck of a cook. :thumb:

Looks great, and def something worth trying! Here is a stupid question, does it taste like fried?

Yes it does!

Last edited:
Batter is easy to make, just whisk together milk and eggs, then mix in flour, bit of baking powder and spices as you like. At least that's what it says I did.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95412
Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Nothing PRON worthy. I used a mix called Silvia's. It just did not work as well. And too spicy for the family. Next time I'll use your scratch method. And just adjust the spice for my pieces.

But the Garlic soup was great!!

Finally got around to making me some Kettle Fried Chicken. Mine was done in the large BGE at 400 for approx. 45 minutes. As you can see it turned out awesome! It was crispy and very juicy. :thumb: This is one I'll be doing again.

5518940208_79ca332910_b.jpg

Back