KCBS Rules Interpretation

KC Smoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Dirt
KCBS rules state:

"All competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat is allowed
other than manufacturer enhanced or injected products, as shown on label EXCLUDING but not limited to teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected. Transglutaminase (TG or TGase) or "meat glue" does not season and is not injected. Competition meat not meeting these qualifications shall be
disqualified, not allowed to be turned in, and not judged, and receives no score."

So does that mean that TG applied to the meat before the ambassadors check the meat is acceptable?

Apparently this has been asked before and I apologize for the repeat.

So does that mean that TG applied to the meat before the ambassadors check the meat is acceptable?

Yes, because TG has no flavor. So in prepping thighs at home you can glue the skins back on. If I recall, this appears in the Contest Rep Manual.

KCBS Rep Advisory Manual © KCBS 2022 Revision 1/2022

4.13 TG aka Meat Glue

Question: Is meat glue allowed prior to meat inspection?
Opinion: The rules committee discussed this on Oct. 12, 2015 and there is no rule preventing. After considerable discussion they were unable to come up with a way to check as it is pretty much undetectable. According to the research by the committee "meat glue" Transglutaminase (TG or TGase) does not season and is not injected.

October 12, 2015; noted in BOD minutes November 13, 2015

General rule is that you can take from the meat but you can't add to. However I have also heard that meat glue is fine beforehand.

You don't need meat glue. Cook it well and you will not have a problem with the skin pulling.

Back