THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bfreeland38

Knows what a fatty is.
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. But in a KCBS competition, are you allowed to prep your meat before inspection. I understand that you cannot season or inject. Just want to make sure before I prep all our meat ahead of time and show up and its not allowed. Not getting a straight answer on this.

I'm not sure what you mean by prep. Do you mean trim? Then yes, you can trim before inspection.

I am sorry, trim is what I meant. Do you shrink wrap after trimming, or just use the 2 gallon storage bags placed back on ice. This is our first KCBS. We have competed in many backyard and 1 SLBS contest but trimming was not allowed ahead of time.

I typically only trim chicken the week prior to a contest, then place on paper towels inside a freezer bag, then freeze - all other meats I leave in their original packaging and handle on site - the inspector needs to see that the meat is not seasoned in any way, so I try to make certain that there is no additional water/liquid in the bag that might make it look like brine - never had an issue (so far):-D

I trim at home for every KCBS contest. Vacuum seal and the inspectors have never had an issue.

No seasoning, brining, injecting, etc before the meat is inspected though.

MANY competitors do this and the inspectors should be very used to this. They are mainly looking that it hasn't been seasoned in any way and that it's cold.

Good luck!

After cooking the Guinea Pig up in Kansas last month I remembered how awful it is to trim at the competition. I feel for anyone that has to do that on a regular basis. Trim at home if at all possible!

Back